Electrics to Shed - dodgy advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
crafty1289 said:
Can someone back me up here please? In electrician talk, T+E and SWA are not generally classed as flexible cable. FLEX, however, is. Are there any regs or definitions that back this?

A single solid conductor is not flexible cable - T&E

A stranded cable with in which the CSA of each conductor is no more than 4mm is a flexible cord - SWA & others

A multi stranded cable is a flexible cable.

All 3 can be used for fixed wiring - It's not the type of cable used it's the type of installation that it's feeding. As you and others have said - A fixed shed with lights and sockets is fixed wiring.

Anyone who suggests that it should be wired using a SWA extension lead needs to ask their mum if they can go out more :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
crafty1289 said:
Can someone back me up here please? In electrician talk, T+E and SWA are not generally classed as flexible cable. FLEX, however, is. Are there any regs or definitions that back this?

A single solid conductor is not flexible cable - T&E

Oh yes it is! You can bend it, it flexes, therefore it is flexible.

A stranded cable with in which the CSA of each conductor is no more than 4mm is a flexible cord - SWA & others

Maybe by your definition or the IEE, but NOT according to SI 2006/652...The actual law.

A multi stranded cable is a flexible cable.
Yes it is flexible.

All 3 can be used for fixed wiring
Correct. & non-fixed wiring
-

It's not the type of cable used it's the type of installation that it's feeding.
If its NOT the type of cable used, why argue about the type of cable used????

A trailing socket.

A fixed shed
As opposed to a non fixed shed????

with lights and sockets is fixed wiring.
Well, if the wiring is fixed, then yes.

Anyone who suggests that it should be wired

I never said it should be wired in that way, only that it could . Cant you read properly?

using a SWA extension lead needs to ask their mum if they can go out more.

Merely, pointless childish comment.

I think you meant....Using an SWA....

Well in that case define a solid cable, because by your definition, totallyspies, a flexible cable is EVERY sort of cable under the sun, because they will all bend!

IMO, "a flexible cable" means "a cable whose characteristics enable it to flex easily and without long-term detrimental effects to its operation" ie. multistrand FLEX

BEND A T+E or SWA too often and its conductors or sheath WILL SNAP. Therefore it should not be classed as a flexible cable.

Sponsored Links
'BEND A T+E or SWA too often and its conductors or sheath WILL SNAP. Therefore it should not be classed as a flexible cable.'

Have to agree with Crafty (& Pensdown) - SWA has stranded conductors which, although more flexible than solid core conductors, still get damaged if bent too tightly!

This is why there are minimum bend radii imposed on SWA but not Flex!

PompeySparks said:
'BEND A T+E or SWA too often and its conductors or sheath WILL SNAP.

Correct

Therefore it should not be classed as a flexible cable.'

By who, you? That is not what the law says

Have to agree with Crafty (& Pensdown) - SWA has stranded conductors which, although more flexible than solid core conductors, still get damaged if bent too tightly!

Well if it were fixed and you made the bend to acute, then yes. BUT thats NOT my point.

Could you kindly show where that is referenced in the law?

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20060652.htm

My point is, its perfectly legal and possible to use SWA, or any other suitable material, as a way of suppling power to a shed or garage without notifying to BC. Thats all.

Pensdown said:
Oh yes it is! You can bend it, it flexes, therefore it is flexible.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That sums up the rest of your comments...goooooood night

How does that sum up the rest of my comments exactly?

Clearly, you cannot come up with a logical argumement , so can only resort to posting lots of smileys? (shrug) Hmmmm....

totallyspies said:

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

TS. You're fast losing the argument.

To me, as an electrician with 18 years experience, it does not matter two hoots whether you believe the regs to be law or not, but as a professional installer, if I found SWA installed as flexible cable, I would put it down as not to current standard, or even at risk, depending on the situation.

And if a professional electrician (well, not just me, but everyone else here who is) would not entertain the idea, why should a DIY'er?

securespark said:
TS. You're fast losing the argument.

The idea is not to win or lose but to understand that what I have suggest could be done without BC approval, thats all.

To me, as an electrician with 18 years experience, it does not matter two hoots whether you believe the regs to be law or not,

So dont waste your time trying to prove otherwise.

but as a professional installer, if I found SWA installed as flexible cable, I would put it down as not to current standard, or even at risk, depending on the situation.

Well that would be your choice.

And if a professional electrician (well, not just me, but everyone else here

So, you know the opinions of everyone here?

who is) would not entertain the idea, why should a DIY'er?

ban-all-sheds said:
totallyspies said:

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Yup you got me on that point.

However , you STILL havent posted any credible evidence about your fairly sure point about CE markings BAS. Why not? You ignored it on Screfix forum. Why?

whether you believe the regs to be law or not,

I don't merely believe the regs are not law, I know they are NOT!
Unless you can show me otherwise.

To clarify my point. I said that you could, without BC approval, use the sets for sale from here

http://www.greenbrook.co.uk/

as a way of supplying an electrical supply to a shed, providing it wasn't fixed.

BAS then said he thought it might be in contravention of the building regs,(no concrete proof as yet supplied to back this opinion up however).

The LAW says you can work on

(c) pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections."

I did however , mistakenly, beleive they must be CE approved ( because it is mentioned in the approved part P document that they should be. That is incorrect.)

Clearly, from the above, anyone can see there isnt a requirement for them to be CE marked. This does not alter the fact that you can use them or indeed a set of your own making.

ban-all-sheds said:
totallyspies said:

Didnt think of this before I posted my first response to this..

But this law applies to fixed wiring does it not? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back