Eledtricians Putty/Sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few quick questions for the board, I have been recommended buy a friend in the electrical trade to use electricians putty to assist sealing a JB, which will be located in soil (joining SWA). Is this common practice? Also can the electricians putty be substituted for something similar, such as plumbers putty or are their electrical properties preventing this?

One last question any suggestions where I can lay my hands on electricians putty, it's like rocking horse **** in most trade suppliers in the Midlands.

Sponsored Links
has to be a resin joint really as said above.

i think the putty you are talking about is pottting compound used for the pots on micc.wholesalers can get anything you want if you know what its called!

He is probably on about Hellermans compound which was used for packing outdoor bits & bobs before silicone sealant became commonplace.

There is also Alpha putty for cable jointing used in conjunction with Alpa tape for outdoor joints, very expensive

I would go for the resin joint as previosly advised

Sponsored Links
You're not thinking of mastic compound are you?

But a resin joint is the only proper way to joint a SWA underground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back