Emergency Exit Light - Arrow up, or Arrow Down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, which is the correct orientation of the arrow on an emergency light above an exit door, up or down?

Capture.JPG

Sponsored Links
I frequently see the top two above a door, one being an unlit sign t'other being lit.

The site linked to and quoted by random grinch is wrong, for a start text only signs have not been compliant for about 30 years.

Of the two pictures in the OP the left/first shows an original BS5499 format style sign, while the 2nd/right shows an ISO7010 style sign which is very similar because 7010 was based on BS5499 and then later most of it got re assorbed into an amendment of 5499.

In between we had the euro stylo signs (showed the man and the door way as separate symbols) from about 1996, but no longer prefered.

traditionally we used a down arrow to mean proceed through/forward although not explictly defined. ISO 7010 however states that an up arrow should be used for proceed forward (down arrow only used where you need to descend). BUT... you shouldn't mix and match within the same building, if you replace an exit box where every other exit box is pointing down for 'go through/ahead' then thats what you should fit, even though you wouldn't if it was a new job (consistancy and avoiding confusion being more important than meeting the latest style) You also shouldn't really mix and match standards in the same building, but generally thats not possible and most settle for not mixing arrow meanings in the same building

Sponsored Links
If it says exit should it also not say allan? I would try to move away from words when ever I can, each language needs a different name, not sure on Polish for exit, and in the main signs are for visitors, people who work or live there do not need signs, so avoid words when ever possible.

I was alerted to this with reversing warning devices, salesman came in with new one which said "beware I am reversing" and boss walked in, and said how does it work out when to use English and when to use Welsh, and the salesman admitted it couldn't, so boss say beep, beep, beep is universal warning for a vehicle reversing, anything else would need to be in addition to standard beep, beep, beep.

I think white noise units are also dangerous, as one does not realise it is a warning device, and speech, words, and non standard warning signs should be avoided.

Where I work a fireman lights fires, why are they called a stoker on a ship, but fireman on a railway engine.

We always used up for forwards...

Until we joined the EU, as the common market morphed into, and the French (who had always used down for forward) decided our format was too confusing for them when visiting and an EU wide format was created...

Or so they told us :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back