Energy Saving MR16 Bulbs??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I fitted 16 50W MR16 bulbs in the kitchen. I had to reinforce the electric meter as when they are all on the wheel spins that fast I think it might fly into orbit.

So its now time to rethink. Kitchen is dark and dingy and so we need the 800W of light given by the MR16s. but want an energy saving equivalent, if they are available.

So does anyone know of a direct replacement bulb for a 50W MR16??

:?:

Sponsored Links
The problem is the light fittings, not the lamps fitted into them.

It's time to replace the light fittings with items designed for the job of illuminating a room.

Crakkers, I would recommend you change half of the fittings for CFL equivalents.

Something like this:

PL 13w downlight

The downside is they require a larger cutout (10cm) and 15cm between the ceiling and floor above.

Always buy high frequency, or they will flicker and cause you headaches. And the tubes are available in different colour temperatures, from warm white (2700k) to daylight (6400k) - make sure you get one you like, most people prefer warm white or plain white in their homes.

Sponsored Links
You probably don't need the 800w of light provided by the MR16s - I'd be willing to put money on 3x 100w GLS pendants (if we could still buy the bloody lamps!) would do just as good a job, if not better, than the downlights you have at the moment.

That said, if you really don't want to change the fittings, some 5w warm white LED lamps such as http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/product/...igh-power-warm-white-led-light-bulb-10pk.aspx will be more energy efficient, if you can stomach the initial cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back