EU unhappy with astrazeneca

The EU have come out of this really well, pharma companies will be queuing round the block to deal with them Lol.
They have the agility of a baby panda when it comes to quick reactions.
#taking back control.
(Now it makes sense)

Sponsored Links
Today's headlines

LOL Why do you think the BBC published that.

The U turn probably related to the Irish boarder when they clearly had no intention to create one, just using it to achieve something else - monitor where vaccine is going.

Macron is a bit of a Boris. He's the one who wants the UK to suffer out of the UK. The words "made to" were used, Sound bites. Meaningless without actions. :rolleyes: We may do. Take the current border hiccups. If not gone by say mid spring we will probably be stuck with them. He has also had riots dealt with via tear gas and batons on his street. Wonderful man.

No one is saying the UK are evil ogres hoarding vaccine that should be spread out and used more widely. Some press some where or the other might. In a nutshell the EU is trying to ensure no country gets away with doing that when EU based manufacturing plants are involved. The UK's AZ plants are an odd ball. Several countries contributed to them. Contract lawyers will sort that area out.

Beat me to it Mottie.

BREAKING NEWS.

The EU has withdrawn its plans to control the exports of COVID-19 vaccines into Northern Ireland, according to Sky sources.

A statement is expected shortly.
Sorry, fillyboy, but you're wrong, as usual.
The export control still applies.
It's the invocation of article 16 of the NI Protocol that has been withdrawn.
It was invoked in haste because the EU suspected that UK would illicitly import goods via the back door of RoI and NI.
The UK wouldn't do that officially, and intentionally to avoid a EU policy, would they?
Maybe the discussion between BJ and Ursula resolved the EU's suspicion. Because after all, BJ doesn't lie. (guffaw!)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, fillyboy, but you're wrong, as usual.
The export control still applies.
It's the invocation of article 16 of the NI Protocol that has been withdrawn.
It was invoked in haste because the EU suspected that UK would illicitly import goods via the back door of RoI and NI.
The UK wouldn't do that officially, and intentionally to avoid a EU policy, would they?
Maybe the discussion between BJ and Ursula resolved the EU's suspicion. Because after all, BJ doesn't lie. (guffaw!)

I think it's more the fact that diplomats around the world were watching with raised eyebrows, and the EU suddenly realised at the 11th hour that they might be the ones looking like the bad guys

What a day for the EU, and people have the brass neck to say our Govt are mishandling things. Incredible.
The UK government have mishandled the pandemic massively. 104,000 deaths due to Covid, that's not an opinion, that's fact.

It is very indicative that the usual Brexiteers are so desperate to argue that Brexit is a success, that any (and this is the only issue) opportunity to sing the praises of Brexit is grasped with haste. Yet all of the arguments put forward by Brexiteers are hollow arguments because anything that the UK government have done (which is precious little right) could have been done within EU. The vaccination program is their one and only success story. Everything else has been too little too late, leading to horrific mortality figures, within the top 5 in the world whichever way you look at it.
That is an utter failure.

It really is a shooting themselves in the foot moment, there will be a huge internal backlash and a huge international backlash, Brilliant.

Ireland's premier Micheal Martin has spoken to European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen to express his concerns, according to an Irish government spokesperson.
Louise Haigh MP, Labour's shadow Northern Ireland secretary, said the EU's move was "deeply destabilising and undermines the huge efforts being made to make the Protocol work".
"Unilateral actions like this do nothing to aid the stability in Northern Ireland which the Protocol was designed to preserve."

You wish.

It takes a strong and confident organisation to admit to a mistake.
Something which the UK government have been proven incapable of.

The non-event certainly got the brexers going. I've never seen so much excitement from the gammons on a Friday night. Woody may have even spilled his cocoa.
They're desperate to point out how beneficial Brexit has been.
Let them enjoy their moment of merriment.

A great unrest will be rising in the member states at the incompetence of this.
Shackled & unable to “control “ their countries deals.

The EU done an 11th hour u turn last night, because of the bad press caused
It was their friends and partners that appealed to them, not their critics.
They realised that it might be a mistake, so they backtracked.
The Article 16 of the NI Protocol would not introduce a border in the island of Ireland. The fact that DUP were incandescent about it doesn't make it so. (when are DUP not incandescent? :rolleyes:).
All the export control does is to introduce transparency into the export of the vaccine, so the EU knows what is going where. It can do that without introducing a border in the island of Ireland, unless UK is intent on avoiding such EU controls.

Weird that. sic I would have thought everyone trusted Boris and his lot.

More likely any country might. The world of getting around embargoes. Which might be used if some do what concerns them.

Maybe we would, if they’d asked nicely - rather than openly stating “it would do everything possible to prioritise and protect its citizens”. Surely they can expect other nations to follow?

btw since the contract has now beeen published in redacted form. The obligation on AZ is all reasonable efforts or “best reasonable endeavours”. That would not oblige them to breach one contract to fulfil another.
They assured the EU that there were no other contracts that would impede their delivery to EU. Now they are saying the UK contract does exactly that.
Were they telling lies before, or are they telling lies now?
Or their UK contract has been renegotiated (or imposed on them).
The obtuseness and vagueness of AZ explanation for the delays, led EU to suspect something is amiss.
So they are seeking a mutually satisfactory resolution, or if need be, a legal resolution.
They have also introduced a 'transparency' process to provide them with the information that is so sadly lacking from AZ.

I wonder.. if I was building a new drug manufacturing facility, would I build it where I was confident I could access global marketing or where I was subject to controls and raids.
Perhaps it would depend on how prepared you were to honour the contract.
If you were prepared to honour the contract in an open and professional way, you would have no problem on where to build it.
If, however, you were prepared to dishonour the contract, and be vague and obtuse about why that happened, or even have another contract impose new conditions on you, you might choose to avoid such scrutiny.

Sponsored Links
Back