EU unhappy with astrazeneca

Sponsored Links
The EU dispute is not even with the UK, its with a private company! And yet they penalise UK and EU (Irish) citizens.

Also check out the countries on the EU export ban, and the reasons some countries are on the list and others not. Then think about whether it's vindictive to the UK or not, or if the list makes any sense.

Where is the ban list? What have they done to supplies to the UK? Where are they being vindictive? How are they penalising the UK or for that matter the Irish especially those that are in the EU? The rabble that run N, Ireland have spouted off just as would be expected. The parties get on so well that they can't even remain in the same room for long. Even fist fights have been known. Sending an extra few million quid over to them does seem to have quieted them down but for how long.

There seems to be a lot of old women style title tattle around. Until they actually do something no one has any idea what they will do. So far they just want to know what is going where - not bans. The indirect thing is that the UK AZ plants belong to AZ. They do. Then of course some embarrassment about how much has turned up. That really is down to the makers. Personally I am inclined to agree with them on that as it looks like facilities were not produced to meet anything like demand that had been ordered and a lot of money was provided. It's also well known that vaccine suppliers always fall short on orders. It is a complicated process. Best endeavour has fallen well well short of intent.

Legal action - that's with AZ not the UK or anywhere else.

;) Anyway there is plenty of scope for various media to shove out all sorts of maybes and complications that may or may not exist now or in the future.

It really is a shooting themselves in the foot moment, there will be a huge internal backlash and a huge international backlash, Brilliant.

Ireland's premier Micheal Martin has spoken to European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen to express his concerns, according to an Irish government spokesperson.
Louise Haigh MP, Labour's shadow Northern Ireland secretary, said the EU's move was "deeply destabilising and undermines the huge efforts being made to make the Protocol work".
"Unilateral actions like this do nothing to aid the stability in Northern Ireland which the Protocol was designed to preserve."

Sponsored Links
Where is the ban list? What have they done to supplies to the UK? Where are they being vindictive? How are they penalising the UK or for that matter the Irish especially those that are in the EU? The rabble that run N, Ireland have spouted off just as would be expected. The parties get on so well that they can't even remain in the same room for long. Even fist fights have been known. Sending an extra few million quid over to them does seem to have quieted them down but for how long.

There seems to be a lot of old women style title tattle around. Until they actually do something no one has any idea what they will do. So far they just want to know what is going where - not bans. The indirect thing is that the UK AZ plants belong to AZ. They do. Then of course some embarrassment about how much has turned up. That really is down to the makers. Personally I am inclined to agree with them on that as it looks like facilities were not produced to meet anything like demand that had been ordered and a lot of money was provided. It's also well known that vaccine suppliers always fall short on orders. It is a complicated process. Best endeavour has fallen well well short of intent.

Legal action - that's with AZ not the UK or anywhere else.

;) Anyway there is plenty of scope for various media to shove out all sorts of maybes and complications that may or may not exist now or in the future.

Alphabeti Spagetti (with all due credit to Brigadiers term 'word salad' - I liked that)

8461702140_b412eb7136_b.jpg

'Special', my mom says.

Special needs? (y)

OK nosey, you know me well enough to knows that whilst I'm a hard line leaver, and I am, you know I'm pragmatic about it, you know that we've shared mutual ground on an agreement being reached that satisfies both parties, no winners, no losers, which appeared to be what happened.

But FFS man do you not for a moment consider the EU's behaviour over this vaccine **** heinous, spiteful, vindictive and hateful, if it were the UK I'm sure attitudes would be different.

But FFS man do you not for a moment consider the EU's behaviour over this vaccine **** heinous, spiteful, vindictive and hateful, if it were the UK I'm sure attitudes would be different.

What? I would consider the UK spiteful if she tried to secure vaccines for her people?

Supposed spite and vindictiveness.....

“The commission is not triggering the safeguard clause,” the commission said. “Should transits of vaccines and active substances toward third countries be abused to circumvent the authorisation system, the EU will consider using all the instruments at its disposal.”

My erse.

Last edited:
What? I would consider the UK spiteful if she tried to secure vaccines for her people?

Supposed spite and vindictiveness.....

“The commission is not triggering the safeguard clause,” the commission said. “Should transits of vaccines and active substances toward third countries be abused to circumvent the authorisation system, the EU will consider using all the instruments at its disposal.”

My erse.

The EU done an 11th hour u turn last night, because of the bad press caused

They're upset, because when we're vaccinating our 60 year old group they'll probably still be trying to cover their 70+ groups who need it even more.

There is a decent case to say we should be the better people and volunteer to divert some of our supply to Europe, the vaccines will save more lives there in the short term.
Maybe we would, if they’d asked nicely - rather than openly stating “it would do everything possible to prioritise and protect its citizens”. Surely they can expect other nations to follow?

btw since the contract has now beeen published in redacted form. The obligation on AZ is all reasonable efforts or “best reasonable endeavours”. That would not oblige them to breach one contract to fulfil another. It also doesn’t require them to spend unlimited amounts of resource or money to meet the objective.

I wonder.. if I was building a new drug manufacturing facility, would I build it where I was confident I could access global marketing or where I was subject to controls and raids.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back