EU unhappy with astrazeneca

I see the Germans may look at buying the Russian vaccine, to get themselves out of the hole they have dug.

At one point they did not trust it, WHAT a U-turn.

You happy to have the Sputnik 5 vaccine Bobby.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210203-germany-moves-to-bring-russian-vaccine-into-eu-orbit
You thought I was in Germany?
It'll be the Pfizer Biontech for me.
AstraZeneca not approved for over 65s.
Following Mr Macron's comments, France's Health Authority made an official recommendation ... that the vaccine should not be used for people over 65.
Other European countries have taken a similar position: Germany, Austria, Sweden and Poland only recommend it for people under 65, and Italy and Belgium for those under 55.
Switzerland - not an EU country - has ruled against approving the vaccine for any age group.

https://www.bbc.com/news/55919245

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
AZ are talking to Russia about mixing both via a dose of one and a 2nd dose of the other. Results of Sputnik are seen as rather good. Oxford are starting a trial where n hundred people will be given either pfizer or az for the first jab and the other for the 2nd. They are asking for over 50 year old volunteers. Dose timing will be looked at as well 1 to 3 months.

Germany has always bought some stuff from Russia.

The eel problem is paperwork. Approval style and may well be one of several areas overlooked - hence the deal to continue dealing to satisfy ........... ;) I ain't going to bother completing that.

The eel problem is paperwork. Approval style and may well be one of several areas overlooked - hence the deal to continue dealing to satisfy ........... ;) I ain't going to bother completing that.
Then we'll never know what you were on about. ;)

Sponsored Links
The Russian thing is just noise. I can’t see the EU in a rush to approve give the lack of transparency on trials. This is just about “look over here we’ve found another source”.

All the smoke about AZ and age limits is just demand management. Oddly this behaviour weakens any legal argument further.

Then we'll never know what you were on about

No way am I going into that as it's obvious.

Now it seems certain mainland fishers are having the same problem as well. Also ordinary fish type fishers - £50k worth of fish and not prepared to risk it not getting there in time so doing maintenance work on his boat. It seems more paper work is needed and best option is to let it all settle down. It seems some shellfish though have a real problem and wont get into the EU.

The eel problem is paperwork.

The eel problem is nothing whatsoever to do with paperwork. It's about the legality of importing eels into the EU, basically it's illegal. There are paperwork problems with fish etc, even if the paperwork is filled out correctly, 'they' might decide it's signed in the wrong colour ink, fun and games, no more.

The biggest problem of all that nobody mentions is demand, I have it on good authority that one or two restaurants in Europe are closed at the moment.

even if the paperwork is filled out correctly
Importers/exporters are finding it easier to deal with the USA thousands of miles away rather than Boris's 'there will be no checks' Anglo/Irish border arrangement. More and more businesses are unwilling to get mired in the ridiculous costly paperwork.

Brexit - what a pile of poo.

The eel problem is nothing whatsoever to do with paperwork. It's about the legality of importing eels into the EU, basically it's illegal. There are paperwork problems with fish etc, even if the paperwork is filled out correctly, 'they' might decide it's signed in the wrong colour ink, fun and games, no more.
So post-Brexit, you're expecting EU to be generous?
You wanted it.

The biggest problem of all that nobody mentions is demand, I have it on good authority that one or two restaurants in Europe are closed at the moment.
Absolutely correct. Restaurants in France are allowed to do take-aways only. If you have no take-away demand (or take-aways is against your principles) it's sensible to close. :rolleyes:

The Russian thing is just noise. I can’t see the EU in a rush to approve give the lack of transparency on trials. This is just about “look over here we’ve found another source”.
It's only a member state decision, (doing their own thing, which many have argued is not allowed :rolleyes:), not an EU decision.

All the smoke about AZ and age limits is just demand management.
That's just your spin on the decision.
Perhaps you can spin an alternative explanation for US delaying the approval of AZ vaccine, other than it's their usual process.

Oddly this behaviour weakens any legal argument further.
How so?
In a legal case, will the judge decide whether there has been any breach of contract by one supplier based on the customers attempts to meet demand from another supplier? Surely the subsequent actions of seeking alternative supplies strengthened their claim, and increases their damages (should any be forthcoming)
Or how is their case weakened on their claim that there was a breach of contract by one supplier, and that caused them to ration that product to their citizens, (assuming your spin was correct)? Again their subsequent actions strengthens their claim and increases any potential damages.

Sometimes, motorbiking, your comments are perverse.

It isn't just a paperwork problem.
Under EU law eels from Britain cannot be imported into N. Ireland any longer.
Fishermen need these eels to restock lough Neagh.
The eels caught in Lough Neagh were sent to Billingsgate Market to be sold, under EU law the export of eels to 3rd countries is banned, so businesses in GB and N. I. are being damaged.

The eel problem is nothing whatsoever to do with paperwork

It is as paperwork saying it's ok and it would be. ;) Depends on what you regards as paperwork. Seems to be similar problem with some shellfish. It would appear that both were ok before actual exit while all were in the EU.

I meant to add more dealing needed to that. The deal to deal further deal is not imagination.

Sponsored Links
Back