Exposed wires - downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally got round to replacing a downlight in the bathroom! I noticed scorch marks on the bulb and on closer inspection it looks like there's exposed wires in the fitting which run in to a sticky blob that I presume is electrical tape. I can't get into the loft just now, but assuming I need to replace the faulty section of wire could I cut out the burnt section and rejoin using a connector strip or spliceline?
Thanks in advance
ps - im a novice diyer!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-sp...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN2o5dKBu90CFcgQGwodkVYB3w

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Those connectors could be used, but so could other types.
They all need to be inside an enclosure, and you should not have loft insulation piled over the light either.

Thanks for the replies. I see what you mean about other connectors - I found a chocbox in the garage but its only 10A so looks like its a trip to Screwfix!

Should downlights be clear of all insulation or is a gap of a few cm ok? This was put in via previous owner (govt scheme) so presumably they rolled it out without much consideration of the lights

Sponsored Links
That light doesn't look to have a good IP rating. How many have you got in the Bathroom? I'd been inclined to upgrade it / them.

Should downlights be clear of all insulation or is a gap of a few cm ok?
Depends on the exact type, but 150mm all round and above would be typical.

The solution is not to just leave massive holes in the insulation, as that will result in heat loss.
Covers should be used with hold the insulation away from the light, such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-ha-dig250-downlight-insulation-guard-220mm/97932 or https://www.thermahooddirect.com/product/thermahood-square-airtight-downlight-cover-4-pack/
insulation goes over the top of them.

That light doesn't look to have a good IP rating. How many have you got in the Bathroom? I'd been inclined to upgrade it / them.
There's 4 of them. Renovating the bathroom in a couple of years. Will hold off replacing until then if I can.

I got into the loft, looks like it's just an issue with this light, the rest look ok. For some reason only this lights terminal had electrical tape on it, which has melted.

Annoying l couldn't find an enclosed chocbox in b&q yesterday (only had 15amp ones left), wanted 30amp to be on safe side. Hopefully get one tomorrow and sort it, for now I'm not using the lights!

Attachments

• IMG_20180916_082559204~2.jpg
    IMG_20180916_082559204~2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20180916_075926812.jpg
    IMG_20180916_075926812.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 220
Annoying l couldn't find an enclosed chocbox in b&q yesterday (only had 15amp ones left), wanted 30amp to be on safe side. Hopefully get one tomorrow and sort it, for now I'm not using the lights!

I already told you your light takes less than 10 amps and you have a 10 amp one. The wires will be too small to fit a 30 amp one safely.

As you can tell I'm no spark
I saw your comment about 10amp, but having read up some now I understand. The lights are 50v (6amp) so as you say, 10 amp should be fine.

Thanks again for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back