Facemasks - which law?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are told that the government has made it law to wear facemasks when in shops, enclosed public spaces etc.

Which law?
Has anyone got a link to it please?

I ask because in the shops they have signs saying its guidelines or recommendations - not law.

Googling I can find:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ntres-and-enclosed-transport-hubs-from-friday

Which mentions that "the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984 will include powers for the police to enforce the requirement to wear a face covering."

However within that act:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/22

I am unable to find such a requirement?
Can you find it?

Sponsored Links
It is currently unenforceable...

And will probably be shown to be unlawful when the first class case is brought to court!

Sponsored Links
It is like so many things to do with Covid, it had to be rushed into place without due consideration being given to the legalities. Does it really matter that much, the point is the government is under tremendous pressure from all sides to control this horrible disease. Just do what they advise for everyone's sake, to help prevent the spread.

c63.jpg

It is like so many things to do with Covid, it had to be rushed into place without due consideration being given to the legalities.
But the emergency legislation is very far ranging...

For example there was a lengthy campaign in a town fairly near us to lower the speed limit to 20mph on residential roads, but it failed...

However a short while ago one lane of a 30 mph in town dual carriageway was designated a 'covid cycle lane' with a 20mph limit. And residential roads will be following suit on the speed limit without any new legislation/consultation needed...

There is conveniently going to be an awful lot going to be enacted 'on the nod' during this 'crisis'!
(the fact that I support the lowering of residential speed limits is irrelevant)

For example there was a lengthy campaign in a town fairly near us to lower the speed limit to 20mph on residential roads, but it failed...

We already have that covering many/most built up residential areas around here, it is generally ignored by a wide margin by most drivers as unenforceable.

The way the law is draughted, you could wear a net over your mush and it would still comply.

We already have that covering many/most built up residential areas around here, it is generally ignored by a wide margin by most drivers as unenforceable.
But if you have a 20mph limit most people will probably do 30...

If you have a 30mph limit most people will probably do 40...

Sponsored Links
Back