Failed PAT

That photo of a 2 pin plug brings back memories of my first attempt to see exactly what electricity was. I crawled behind a sofa (I was too young to walk), and carefully inserted one end of a piece of bare wire into one side of a two-pin socket. Nothing happened so I inserted the other end of the wire into the other side of the socket. A loud bang and a bright flash were the instant results followed by panicking parents quickly picking me up to first make sure I was not hurt then to spank me for being naughty.
For me, it was a similar plug, plugged into a 15amp to 5amp adaptor - my father was extending the Christmas tree lights with a piece of twisted cotton-covered, with a twisted wire joint - LIVE at the time. I was instructed to hold the wires carefully apart, whilst he went to find the rubberised cotton tape, which was common in those days. I was curious, as to what might happen if they did touch, who could resist? Bang, it blew the 15amp wire fuse.
Oh you scoundrels, all of you, tut tut tut.
As if I would have ever dreamt...

In my case I'd learnt to terminate plugs and managed a 5A 2pin plug each end of a piece of flex and after getting a belt off it managed to get the live plug across something metallic and lots of sparking which made burn marks in the lino. Mum used to tell the story but I only remember as far as the shock. We moved out of that house when I was 6 but I think it was well before I started school at 5y 5m.

Sponsored Links
And I can even remember they were this design in brown
1696124256344.png

sorry dupe of a point I already made on an earlier page.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back