Failed PAT

I've just been going through some of my archive! :)
How about a 200W bulb and some network cable!
DSC_0095 (2).JPG DSC_0099.JPG DSC_0100.JPG

Sponsored Links
...A fake 'Apple' USB PSU exploding when the cable touched an earthed optical bench.

IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1541.JPG

An Apple laptop PSU. Although it was on the ELV side, the arcing damage was quite severe!

DSCF2953.JPG DSCF2955.JPG

Last edited:
...And we had a whole batch of computers (100's) supplied with cables like:

image_2021-11-12_003752.png

The cable wasn't fully molded onto the connector. The fault wasn't initially found.
It took years to find them all after they went into service!

Sponsored Links
...And we had a whole batch of computers (100's) supplied with cables like:

View attachment 250419

The cable wasn't fully molded onto the connector. The fault wasn't initially found.
It took years to find them all after they went into service!
I purchased a load of those too, it was 24x 6 & 10m IEC extension leads for stage lighting. I was never sure if they were like it new or if the cable had pulled/shrunk but every one was like it, one end or the other.

If that's the cable I think it is, some bright spark may say 'it's rated at 300V'. ... I worked on a CCTV system years ago where the 16 mains powered cameras were wired with 4 core alarm cable. It had been in service for a number of years, my involvement had been to make changes.
Contrary to every reg under the sun but, in reality, probably not an actual problem (even with much lower 'voltage ratings') - PVC insulation is amazingly good!!

A bit over 4 years ago, I reported on my ongoing experiment, which is today still ongoing, after probably 7-8 years. Back then I wrote ...
Talking of submerging cables in liquid, my occasionally-mentioned long-term experiment continues, and has now been going for 3 or 4 years. I have ~2m lengths of both T+E and ("50V") alarm cable submerged in brine, and periodically IR them (from cores to brine). At the last count, both were still showing >1,000MΩ at 1000V.
When I last IRd them, a few months back, they were still all 'doing fine', including the "50V" alarm cable.

Kind Regards, John

Contrary to every reg under the sun but, in reality, probably not an actual problem (even with much lower 'voltage ratings') - PVC insulation is amazingly good!!

A bit over 4 years ago, I reported on my ongoing experiment, which is today still ongoing, after probably 7-8 years. Back then I wrote ...
When I last IRd them, a few months back, they were still all 'doing fine', including the "50V" alarm cable.

Kind Regards, John
That does not surprise me in the slightest.

I helped a friend move house... blimey before their daughters were born, youngest is 22 so at least 25 years ago, the only place for the freezer in a hurry was the shed at the bottom of the garden, I lent them an extension lead, soft orange ribbed non kink and imperial size but about 2.5mm² which was just laid across the grass, then moved to one side so he could cut the grass... the bits that still show have faded to a dirty grey but most has got burried under a flower border and foliage, the usual way that things get obscured. The shed was a home office for a number of years until he retired.2019 it got meggared and shows as open circuit all ways.

I know of a 7/0.029 T&E feeding a garage at the bottom of the garden which started out clipped to a fence and ended burried when the fence was removed. Garage was built 1966 so the cable is 55 years old and doesn't trip the RCD installed about 20 years ago when the house was rewired.

If that's the cable I think it is, some bright spark may say 'it's rated at 300V'.

I worked on a CCTV system years ago where the 16 mains powered cameras were wired with 4 core alarm cable. It had been in service for a number of years, my involvement had been to make changes.

They had just picked up the first thing to come to hand to solve the problem.
What got me was the really poor wiring that pulled straight out from the terminals, the shielding flapping around in the bulb holder and the 13A fuse!
This all from people who develop space instruments! :)

...and the butchering of a decent length high quality network cable, when reels of appropriate flex was available, if only they had asked!

That does not surprise me in the slightest.
Nor me - and, like you, I have come across countless examples of 'totally inappropriate' cables having been in service for decades without sny problems (and, where appropriate, with the cable still being seemingly 'fine' if/when ultimately removed).

I really just wanted to put things into perspective. I would imagine/hope that most of us would 'throw up our hands in horror' on coming across, say, ("50V") alarm cable or network cable being used for 'mains'. However, I think the reality is that provided it has an adequate CSA for the purpose, has PVC insulation and that potential 'mechanical vulnerability is not an issue', the chances of any problem, let alone danger, ever arising are extremely small.

I have to confess that, in the fairly distant past, I have used 7-core 'trailer cable' ('rated' way below 230V) for 'mains' (mainly in relation to CH), and I suspect that some of that may still be in service, decades after I installed it.

However, just to be clear, I am certainly not suggesting/advocating that anyone should do any of these (obviously non-compoliant with regulstions) things!

Kind Regards, John

They had just picked up the first thing to come to hand to solve the problem.
What got me was the really poor wiring that pulled straight out from the terminals, the shielding flapping around in the bulb holder and the 13A fuse!
This all from people who develop space instruments! :)

...and the butchering of a decent length high quality network cable, when reels of appropriate flex was available, if only they had asked!
I do know how these botches sometimes occur, indeed I've been involved with my fair share over the years but only if I'm in total control of the situation. For example; As a temporary get out of jail I once used 3 coaxes, one each for L, N & E that were in situe to get power to a projector and its hoist after the electricians had done some work and not knowing what a mains feed was for they chopped the cable and removed half of it.

In the 1960's and still at school I was asked to look at the lights in what had been an old and dusty book shop. The owner due to his failing eyesight had fitted several extra fluorescent light fittings using bell wire tacked to the ceiling.

I have to confess that, in the fairly distant past, I have used 7-core 'trailer cable' ('rated' way below 230V) for 'mains' (mainly in relation to CH), and I suspect that some of that may still be in service, decades after I installed it.

Kind Regards, John
shopping
Mobile disco lights?

In the 1960's and still at school I was asked to look at the lights in what had been an old and dusty book shop. The owner due to his failing eyesight had fitted several extra fluorescent light fittings using bell wire tacked to the ceiling.
My recollections of the late 50s and 60s is that it was far from unusual to see 'bell wire' or similar being used for 'mains' purposes (particularly things like table lamps and Christmas Tree lights - but sometimes 'worse'!).

Kind Regards, John

My recollections of the late 50s and 60s is that it was far from unusual to see 'bell wire' or similar being used for 'mains' purposes (particularly things like table lamps and Christmas Tree lights - but sometimes 'worse'!).

Kind Regards, John
Ah but let's remember that different peoples idea of bell wire vary. To me it was the variously coloured thin twisted stuff from woolworths, to some it is the twin solid wide spaced (To fix with a pin through the web), or twin solid fig 8 about 1mm².
Personally I've never classed the figure of eight twin flex (in OP) as bell wire, but I'm sure others do, and it was certainly sold as mains flex in yesteryear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back