"False" alarms on wireless alarm systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are discussing the Yale system then as long as the owner both listens to the advice I give on handover (which always comprises the use of the system - resetting the system and recognising low battery condistions) and reads the user manual I always leave then there should be no problem.

From the manual.

Siren produces a series of pips when armed or
disarmed
• The siren has low batteries. Check that the
siren produces a series of pips when arming
and disarming, indicating low batteries. Change
batteries with new alkaline replacements.

This can be verified by activating the alarm - if the siren tone is interupted rather than continuos then the batteries need replacing.

From the manual.

Key points
If any of the devices beep or flash, they have
either
• been tampered with - see troubleshooting, page
• or require a new battery - see how to change a
battery, page 24

I always suggest replacing the full system batteries every 18 months whether any battery warnings have appeared or not.
Careful shopping around will find batteries for a whole system change can be bought for only £15 thats only £10 a year upkeep.

Sponsored Links
I was talking about wireless systems in general.

In reply to your comment that mentions this from the manual
Siren produces a series of pips when armed or disarmed
highlights one of the un-fortunate compromises that exist in those systems where the siren cannot communicate to the control panel. This means the user has to be able to clearly hear any sound from the siren when setting the alarm. This limits where the siren can be fitted relative to the location where the alarm is set from and in a noisy environment the sound of the pips may be drowned out. How would a deaf person be able to know the siren batteries were at end of their usefull life ?

When the siren pips it also flashes so a deaf person would be advised to watch the siren and count the flashes when setting the system - easily done with the keypad.

one flash system fine - five flashes battery change required.

When setting via a control panel the siren also can be set to indicate the same way.

So for a deaf person they would be advised to set the alarm and watch to ensure the siren lights did not flash five times.
By watching for the flashes they would also of course get visual indication of a normal set.

Could I just ask out of interest.

In a wired system how would the homeowner know if the sirens reserve battery was working?

how would he know that the siren would activate if the wires were cut.
Is it not the case that if a sirens reserve battery was duff that the first the homeowner would know is when the siren did not work?

Sponsored Links
how would he know that the siren would activate if the wires were cut.
Is it not the case that if a sirens reserve battery was duff that the first the homeowner would know is when the siren did not work?

Come on, this smacks of asking silly questions simply to discredit.

Oh, and depending on the kit, the homeowner can simply read all the values at the keypad.

Come on, this smacks of asking questions simply to discredit.

depending on the kit, the homeowner can simply read all the values at the keypad.

So with some wired alarms the homeowner would not realise his siren was not working?

It's just a balanced question that has a fair place in this discussion.

Come on, this smacks of asking questions simply to discredit.

depending on the kit, the homeowner can simply read all the values at the keypad.

So with some wired alarms the homeowner would not realise his siren was not working?

It's just a balanced question that has a fair place in this discussion.
Not what i said at all, as well you know.

~Old kit this could be possible, however the voltages being sent back are monitored even on older and an indication is given at the keypad. However the sounder will always ring and alert the panel.
Newer kit there are monitors on every cable, which negates your question also.
As well as the readings at the keypad.................honest enough?

But with the Yale siren being activated at every use of the system set/unset and one way comms it is more likely it will fail without notice than any other system........................also honest enough?

Yes, we get a lot of that aimed at Yales. One or two people like to stalk the threads just to try to pick a fight.

Others comment to make clear the errors and assumptions made.

If you know of any part where the description of how one way radio systems work or rather do not is incorrect , then please add to the discussion.

The above is why GRADED radio systems have TWO way communication with each device and report every event. Intruder or not, to make sure that there is no equipment failure going unnoticed.
Hence when people ask we recommend Visonic, Texecom, Castle,Honeywell ( In no particular order, you may see one name more than another but that is due to the cost constraints given by the OP`s).

Sorry I missed your point there.

~Old kit this could be possible, however the voltages being sent back are monitored even on older and an indication is given at the keypad. However the sounder will always ring and alert the panel.
Newer kit there are monitors on every cable, which negates your question also.
As well as the readings at the keypad.................honest enough?

But with the Yale siren being activated at every use of the system set/unset and one way comms it is more likely it will fail without notice than any other system........................also honest enough?

The usage is minimal being three led lights flashing once on arm or disarm. The batteries have ample reserve to keep this level of activity going for years.
The problem is only an issue if the batteries aren't changed on a regular (I suggest 18 month) basis which works out at £10 a year.
Should the alarm have prolonged activation ie it has been repeatedly activating after a weekend away then as a precaution I suggest swapping the batteries in the siren even if only a week old. It would only cost £5. Even if the batteries are not changed at this point they would still give the low battery warning beeps and flashes as a matter of course

Yes, we get a lot of that aimed at Yales. One or two people like to stalk the threads just to try to pick a fight.
Are we to assume you actually read the question?

What do you think happens when the wires are cut?

I was responding to the point about trying to discredit.

Obviously.

yaleguy3";p="2347875 said:

Should the alarm have prolonged activation ie it has been repeatedly activating after a weekend away then as a precaution I suggest swapping the batteries in the siren even if only a week old. It would only cost £5. Even if the batteries are not changed at this point they would still give the low battery warning beeps and flashes as a matter of course

I would agree with that siren.

Glad to see your in agreement with everything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back