Fan for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

I would like a fan to replaced old one which has 100mm duct to outside.

What sort of fan can I use for a bathroom with no window? The one with in-built pull switch?

I can power it from a fuse spur in airing cupboard, the old one was disconnected.

Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
If the bathroom has no window the fan must come on with the bathroom light and have a timer over run when the light is turned off.

Sponsored Links
No. fans like that (and that cheap) can hardly push air horizontally through a 9" wall, let alone 2 metres vertically!

Read this section about ducting

You need a centrifugal fan. Use this calculator to estimate how big a fan you need. Once you have done that, you'll find a button on the screen that will take you to suggested fans that will do the job.

PS Expect to pay quite a bit more than £8.98 for it too!

If the bathroom has no window the fan must come on with the bathroom light and have a timer over run when the light is turned off.
Must? It's a commonly installed arrangement, but it certainly doesn't have to be controlled by the light switch (nor do I think it's a good idea to do it that way, since you don't always want the fan running for however long it's set for every time you use the light for a minute).

No. fans like that (and that cheap) can hardly push air horizontally through a 9" wall, let alone 2 metres vertically!

You need a centrifugal fan. Use this calculator to estimate how big a fan you need. Once you have done that, you'll find a button on the screen that will take you to suggested fans that will do the job.

Cheers, I had a look and i think this will do. I'm really not good on this lol!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-ximx100-33w-in-line-mixed-flow-extractor-fan/5465h

Daniel.

Cheers, I had a look and i think this will do. I'm really not good on this lol!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-ximx100-33w-in-line-mixed-flow-extractor-fan/5465h

Daniel.
lol, I was just reading the reviews out of interest on this fan, the last 2 make me laugh, "Waste of time" no timer, had to uninstall it and take it back grr!.

well I don't know where about it mentioned it the fan had a timer? perhaps they should of fully read the specs on what they were getting before they bought it lol. pair of numpties.

It probably did say it had a timer, and the website has since been updated. Wouldn't be the first time screwfix described something wrong

Stardanny. That fan is meant for mounting in a loft/roof space.
You mentioned something about a fan with a pullswitch. Obviously a loft-mounted fan would not fit with your plan?

Stardanny. That fan is meant for mounting in a loft/roof space.
You mentioned something about a fan with a pullswitch. Obviously a loft-mounted fan would not fit with your plan?

I had thought of that so I am going to fit a pull switch with neon light. I'm happy with loft mounted fan. All I have to do is cut a bit of pvc pipe and fit flexible one in.

Cheers

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back