Few questions before replacing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be replacing a radiator in my mother's house that is showing signs of rusting badly. It is a vented system with a header tank in the loft. I intend to tie of the ball cock (Or isolate if one installed) and then drain the system. I have a few question that I would appreciate some input before I do this.

1. The existing radiator is very old (530mm x 1115mm) and I will be replacing with standard single 600 x 1200 with new TRV and lockshield. In addition to the pipes supplying the water at either end at the bottom, there is also a pipe and wheelhead valve on the top left of the rad (Also other rads in the house) what is the purpose of this pipe? I have never come across this type of installation. Is it some kind of vent?

2. I intend to put some Sentinal X100 into the system when I re-fill. Do I just put this into the tank as it's filling? How much do I add?

Are there any particular pitfalls I should be looking out for?

Sponsored Links
1) You have 3 pipes on your rad? A pic might help.

2) A standard 1 litre bottle of inhibitor should be enough for approx 10 medium sized rads. If the solution is a little too strong, that shouldn't be a problem, but add more than one bottle if you have a large system. If your tank in the loft is full of slime and crud, it is best to clean it out before refilling (or even perhaps before draining down) the system, to keep the system clean and avoid introducing this muck to the system. Add the inhibitor to the tank just before you start refilling the system. A quick stir won't go a miss.

Please someone post what this third pipe is. I'm intrigued

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling this will end up in tears.......or a flood.

Call a plumber for this one Mark.

Andy

are you sure there are 3, look again it could be a top inlet bottom outlet, quite common on older systems,

Why go for a longer rad? Are you ok at soldering? Rad extensions are readily available.

P46.
It is a double bedroom, I assumed that the 600 x 1200 was the modern equivalent size. I'm not too bad at soldering.

are you sure there are 3, look again it could be a top inlet bottom outlet, quite common on older systems,

Definitely 3 pipes. The bottom left and right are 15mm T outs from the 22mm ring. The top one a 15mm with wheelhead valve.

I'm not sure, the pipe disappears into the ceiling. I'll take a closer look at the weekend. I can only assume that it is some kind of vent.

could be that rad was catching the air, and the owner tryed a method of venting it, there can be no other reason,

You say "a header tank in the loft" not header tanks ?
Could be a Primatic cylinder. If so do not add chemicals.

If it is primatic, It will tell you on the cylinder, with the words :-

Primatic
or
Single feed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back