Fill in doorway in a dot and dab wall with stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to fill in this double doorway. The existing wall is dot & dab and one side has 12.5mm plasterboard, the other 9.5mm, with 100mm blocks in the middle.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The wall are supporting a lintel above, which is pre drilled, and looks like this one.
IMG_1024.jpeg

The wall is not plumb, being about 145mm at the bottom and 140mm at the top (on both sides).

My question is, is it possible to build this out of stud (and if so my brain is broken on how to get the whole thing flush on both sides), or do I need to cough up and get a brickie?

The floor is concrete.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

M

Sponsored Links
Yes you can stud it. 4x2, which won’t be far off the existing block thickness, and double board if needed, or 5x2 if that works, or whatever. Aim to get new board about 3mm shy of the existing finish to allow for the skim, or even further back but then do a coat of bonding to bring it out

Timber. If you can't get a piece the exact width, you would use a timber section that is near, and then nail on some make up pieces such as hardboard or a thin timber to get the exact size.

You can use the same thickness board each side just set the timber out accordingly to allow for the plasterboard thickness.

You'll need to sand or scrape the existing skim coat 50mm around the perimeter to allow for scrim tape across the joint.

And you may want to fill those existing edges with expanding foam to take the flex out of the board.

If you envisage mounting shelves or tv to wall in future then adding osb behind new plasterboard will make it much simpler and stronger .I would add a bit on insulation to reduce noise transferring .

Sponsored Links
Timber. If you can't get a piece the exact width, you would use a timber section that is near, and then nail on some make up pieces such as hardboard or a thin timber to get the exact size.

You can use the same thickness board each side just set the timber out accordingly to allow for the plasterboard thickness.

You'll need to sand or scrape the existing skim coat 50mm around the perimeter to allow for scrim tape across the joint.

And you may want to fill those existing edges with expanding foam to take the flex out of the board.
With the make up pieces, am I just looking to space these where ever the plasterboard is being screwed on to the main frame? Or am I best finding some form of batten?

You want them continuous really. 2 inch strips of the same plasterboard is cheap and easy and what I use mostly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back