Finding Out....

Sponsored Links
gsm,
no sense in beating yourself up about it.
Yes, you have set a bad example.
Yes, maybe he is trying to emulate you.
No, it is not entirely your fault.
I am a smoker but I am not defending you, merely pointing out that he is also subject to peer pressure from his friends etc but also from the media such as films, TV, magazines and of course subtle advertising methods.
The best you can do is what you have done so far and to teach him the dangers. You don't say how old your son is but regardless of that you can both get help together through the NHS and support each other.
How about striking a deal with him?
You pool what you save in a joint account, keeping track of who saves what, and if you both stick to your side of the bargain you get a reward.
Maybe he could get a new games machine, (playstation, xbox etc), you could get a new car?
But best of all if you both manage to do it the biggest reward you will both get is a healthier life.

Good luck mate and let us know how it goes.

Sponsored Links
My personal opinion is that kids get far too much money these days (I ain't preaching, I'm as much to blame for spoiling my son), but we had NOWT! And I mean nowt. My wife has never smoked, neither have I. She came from a fairly wealthy family were as my family weren't very well off. She reckons I was lucky not to have money as I couldn't afford to 'keep up' with my mates (a woman's logic but I have seen a great deal of sense in it over the years). There may be an element of truth in what she says, I don't know. But I know both my parents smoked early in their lives and both died early in my life. They couldn't afford to smoke when us kids came along. It was a case of buy fags or feed the kids. Thank god they were decent parents and we ate. Perhaps that's why I never started when I did have money? Again, I don't really know but I think the money thing is a big factor with the younger generation. If you ain't got the money, you can't buy the cigarettes and your pals will sharp get sick of bunging you fags if you don't reciprocate.

I sincerely hope you find a way to sort this out mate. Good luck.

Alan Carr's a gay comic.

Allen Carr is the dead bloke!

Blas, you make a good point regarding the money side of life.
I too came from the 'poorer' classes but if you want something, be it fags, booze or as nowadays drugs, you will find a way.
I smoked on and off from about 13 to 16 and my way of geting money for fags was to spend my dinner money. I was 15 when my mum found out what I had been doing and after the lecture and ubiquitous clout round the ear she made sure I stayed for school dinners for the remaining 6 months or so.
Once I turned 16 and started working though there wasn't a lot she could do except ban me from smoking in the house or in her presence.
Pity I thought it made me look good and grown up. In reality it showed how stupid I was, (and still am :oops: )

Yeah I hear what you're saying conny mate. I suppose if they want it they'll get it. But I have you on the 'Dinner Money', we couldn't even afford that! I got Free school Meals, having to endure the embarrassment of my school's procedure of having to line up in a separate queue if you were a 'Free School Meals' pupil! You know, I look back on that young boy and feel sad for him having to endure the humiliation of being a 'Free School Meals' Boy but I also wish I had some of the balls and front now that that young lad had!

This will bore you lot to tears, but 23 and a half hours now. No fags.

JohnD: You may think its too late, but Im going to give it a go.

Conny: The boy is 14

Paul

There is a type of electronic ciggie on the market :eek: I tried it @ a boot sale last week...genuine thing, not a dodgy scam BUT I thought it was shyte...Tell you why..I never got addicted to nicotine, must be some strange thing about my brain :LOL: I can smoke or not , never bothered me . Anyway, this thing gave me a dose of nicotine , I could tell that. But what was missing for me was that lovely Taste...THAT is what I miss...used to smoke Players Navy Cut ciggies, Old Holborn or Empire St.Julian ; and 3 Nuns in a pipe ,. Anyways for most people who are addicted to the nicotine that electric ciggie seems like a good idea. Yeah OK Ban Smoking...But how many people have a few fags, then go and start fights, or beat their wives, or forget days , or end in the gutter :?: We have the smoking pariah, and still the friendly/comical Drunk

Nige, you are right about the smoking pariah, we are casitgated wherever we try to go and have a quiet smoke. As for the friendly/comical drunk it is a load of hogwash. These people might think they are being friendly but they scare the living daylights out of most women. these blokes, and some women, can start out being 'jovial but if they think someone is ridiculing them they can quickly turn very nasty indeed. They will also frighten children to death, imagine being a 5 year old when suddenly this, (to you), HUGE giant looms over you with what he thinks is a smile but you think it is a look of evil. It could give you nightmares for a long time.

As you say, smokers don't go home and beat the wife up and take it out on the kids.

GSM, hope you are still holding out and well done so far. Don't worry if you slip back a little just start again. It won't be easy after smoking 60+ a day but you have to believe in yourself.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Sponsored Links
Back