Fireworks, ban them!

From memory yes in NSW. My lad was about 5 then.

Sponsored Links
I was in NSW from 82 and I worked with geezer from ACT and he used to moan that he could not get fireworks, but could back home

stevethejoiner

When you say fine. you mean fine for you.??????

Self,Self,Self. :LOL:

No not Self, Self, Self, to the contrary. Yes I said
"We live on a farm in a semi rural area, and have a free firework display in our village, which is fine,"
But I wouldn't mind the organised display on my land, I have no issue with the fireworks just the random uncontrolled use.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/general-discussion/fireworks-ban-them.298127/#2173090#ixzz1crlnxH6h

Our local constabulary emailed us (by "us" I mean all those who requested local crimewatch news ;) ) a few week ago about operation such and such, which was targetting illicit random use of fireworks prior to and beyond this weekend.

All very well, but I'd rather the dibble would spend this time watching out for more serious acts of criminality instead.

When the Dibble are out on an op such as your "such and such" they are out and about available to respond to other serious crime. So if it gets them patrolling I am all for targeted ops.

Sponsored Links
stevethejoiner

When you say fine. you mean fine for you.??????

Self,Self,Self. :LOL:

No not Self, Self, Self, to the contrary. Yes I said
"We live on a farm in a semi rural area, and have a free firework display in our village, which is fine,"
But I wouldn't mind the organised display on my land, I have no issue with the fireworks just the random uncontrolled use.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/genera...an-them.298127/#2173090#ixzz1crlnxH6h[/QUOTE]

I understand what your saying.
Nothing personal.

Read your comments back .........including your link.
Self, Self, Self. It's true (human nature)
"organized display on my land" ......that would be Ok then????
F*ck the cattle and associated livestock as long as you pay me. ;)

I can sympatise with both sides of this argument. I don't bother with them myself but do watch for free others burning their money.
In light of the other thread where kids were throwing fireworks and being a general pain I think a sensible first step would the taking of names and addresses of those buying fireworks rather than the pile um high sell um cheap attitude that retailers have at the moment.Prove you are say 25 before you are allowed to buy the things.

Ban all loud noises i say.

Animal owners could always condition their animals by having bonfire night on a regular basis.

Ho hum.

If kids can have explosive devices to chuck about and maim folk, then why can't Terrorists?.... It's bloody discrimination I tell you! (Explosive devices that is, not cats)

No (Space) cats were thrown in the production of this thread....

I agree that there should be some restriction on the use of fireworks, but i'm not sure how you'd enforce it. Fireworks over the weekend of 5th November should be allowed, even the weekend before and the weekend after if 5th falls during the week but I don't see the need for them at other times. We get people letting fireworks off every night from about 2 weeks before the 5th and it'll go on now for at least another week - it becomes very tedious after a while. Maybe a licence to set them off would be the best way - with the location assessed in advance - some people near us were letting them off from a very small garden and if the firework didn't go straight up, they were going very close to neighbouring houses windows and roofs which didn't appear too safe? We've now got the remnants of fireworks all over the street (which I imagine are hot when they first fall to the ground?)

As ever, around this time of year the naysayers start going on about ban this, ban that...

But they fail to understand it's only a very small minority that cause problems...

Come down to a little bonfire shindig near here at Lewes....absolutely chaotic, and yet despite the lurid headlines, injuries and arrests are probably no worse than an average saturday night but with many times the crowd!

Don't blame the fireworks, blame the idiotic few and leave the vast majority of sensible people alone!

Maybe a licence to set them off would be the best way - with the location assessed in advance - some people near us were letting them off from a very small garden and if the firework didn't go straight up, they were going very close to neighbouring houses windows and roofs which didn't appear too safe?
Would that assessment include Rugby clubs and motorways... ;)

Ban them for sale to general public.

As for Guy Fawkes' attempted action, it does seem rather strange that we as a nation 'celebrate' such attempts to blow up our government building and yet if some guy called Abdul or such like, came along today and attempted the same such act most of us would be calling for him to be locked up. It's strange how something like a name or particular belief can change the view of something.

As for Guy Fawkes' attempted action, it does seem rather strange that we as a nation 'celebrate' such attempts to blow up our government building and yet if some guy called Abdul or such like, came along today and attempted the same such act most of us would be calling for him to be locked up. It's strange how something like a name or particular belief can change the view of something.

The reason for the celebration has got lost in the mist of time,although it is referred to as Guy Fawkes night the original reason was to give thank's for the discovery and apprehension of the proposed perpetrator's and as such each year thereafter November 5th is remembered,I believe that there was an act of parliament to that effect at one stage. Also the original effigy burnt was the Pope.

Sponsored Links
Back