fish tank in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My other half has asked whether it would be possible to put a fish tank at the end of the bath in the bathroom. This would be on the same level as the top of the bath. I'd guess this is zone 1.

Electrics could theoretically come through the wall next to the bath. The other side of this wall contains the eaves, which does have an unused electric socket.

I have a gut feel about this, but I thought I'd ask the question, both from a professional point of view, and from a DIY point of view.

Sponsored Links
TV's I can understand but a fish tank :eek: Forgive me for saying so but your other half is bonkers; next you’ll be telling me the little fishes are going to come play in the bath water. :LOL:

Why not settle for a Scottish Lifescapes CD piped to a pair of decent bathroom speakers in the ceiling, scented candles, some Radox in the bath water & a very large glass of decent wine; far easier to do & works a treat for me. ;) but, ultimately, anything is possible!

Possible, yes and no, No if electrics are involved I feel (unless you were planning some sort of architectural solution where the tank is visible through a tempered plate glass window but not actually sited in the bathroom) however you could have air/water pumps located in the next room and the air/water filter pipework feeding through to the tank.

Still rekon its the most bonkers idea i've heard this year so far :LOL: :LOL:

it can be done but you need expert advice from someone who is prepared to look into everything or whom already has the expertease in this, the pump, heaters and airpumps could be out of the zones easy enough and if the tank is built into the wall as long as there is no access from the bathroom and it is fully sealed it should get away with being out ov zones but my advice is pay someone who knows exactly what they are doing, (on no account try and DIY it)
Paul

Sponsored Links
You can get waterproof bathroom tellies.

You can get fishtank DVDs.

Do you really want Nemo and his pals watching you do whatever you do in the bathroom?

It's his missus who wants it - why are you all trying to argue against it? Can't you see she's got you all outnumbered javascript:emoticon(':oops:') :oops:

PJ

you're all being an awful lot more positive about it than I thought you'd be! :p

I thought it would just be a big no-no, and not to touch it with a barge pole, but nooooooo would she listen? She wants to watch the fish in silence as she relaxes in the bath....

However on the basis that I think what she wanted was a simple solution of me drilling a hole in the plasterboard wall next to the bath, running a cable to the plug in the eaves, sitting the tank on the end of the bath and off we'd go, I'll say thats not legal or sensible...

I'd be wary regarding getting contaminants in a fish tank in such an environment. Tell the Mrs it's the fish or the hairspray :LOL:

There are people who could make you a fishtank bath - i.e. imagine a large twin-walled bath with fish in the walls.

As long as you don't use hot water in the bath :LOL:
Open topped for cleaning :confused:

This is getting silly :LOL: Having kept marines extensively in the past, I know how much effort it can be to maintain a good environment for fishes. Best solution I’ve heard so far is fit a flat panel bathroom TV & load a fish tank screen saver. With the lights down, candles burning & glass of good wine, she won’t notice the difference if it's full HD; even better, get one of the 3D screens, I’m sure the glasses are waterproof. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back