Fitting a PIR into existing porch lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Question: I have two external lights, currently activated by one switch in my hallway. I have a separate PIR unit bought a loooong time ago, and wonder if it can be wired into the lights so it activates them automatically for a while when people come home late (and currently forget to switch them off!).

Does anyone think this might be possible? I guess I'd have to leave the switch in place and 'on' permanently, as to remove the current wiring would be messy to say the least.

The lights currently use 'long-life' bulbs, but any eco saving is probably outweighed by the fact that the darn things get left on most nights!
Is this a possibility?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (and maybe a simple wiring diagram??)
It's something I've meant to get round to for ages, but you know how it is... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Basically, if you are not going to alter anything inside the property, then you will need to leave the switch down to keep the PIR powered up. Then take a live feed & neutral to the passive & a switched return back to the light.

However, if you can access all the wiring connections for the light you need to control, then you can use the existing one way switch as an override, providing it has a twin & earth between the switch and the light position / junction box. You must make provision for isolation though.

Then it's just a case of running a 4core flex to the passive from the light / jb as in the previous scenario.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back