Fix drywall painting disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a team of "professionals" repaint the drywalls of a newly-purchased house.

A few days after they completed the work, two kinds of defects appeared on the walls, in a large number of different spots.

The first kind (depicted below) is the paint looking either depressed or protruded over fairly large areas (15-20 cm).

miSBQ.jpg

The second kind (depicted below) is the paint protruding and looking (and feeling) smooth as silk in the affected area.

HfsAK.jpg

The people who did the work claim there is an unspecified "problem" with the dry wall itself, but cannot recommend any specific course of action to rectify it. Of course they maintain they carried out the work with great care and competence. I myself saw them sanding and priming the wall before applying the new paint.

How can I fix this? I have some limited experience painting dry walls but I am no expert. Is this a case where extra preparation is needed, possibly involving repair of the dry wall itself?

Sponsored Links
looks to me like defects or patches in the plaster showing through.

Did your contract with the painters say they were to repair the plasterwork?

Nope. So probably they've got themselves covered, however if there was evidence of the plaster being a disaster they should've warned me, at least -- assuming they were aware if it.

Anyway, I'll call a plasterer for a survey. Thanks.

In the second image, it looks like they have used filler and then sponged it off rather than sanding it.

Decent decorators would have been able to use random orbital sanders connected to dust extractors to sand the wall flat but would have charged for the extra labour time.

Personally, I would have made you aware of flaws in the plastering at the time of quoting. However, when looking at jobs late in the evening, it can be more difficult to spot any such flaws.

Sponsored Links
While the plastering is probably pretty bad and the task was hard to accomplish, I realised I hired the wrong people.

First, I would have paid them more if they had told me the plastering needed rework. I am not cheap: I want a good, smooth, even finish. You tell me how much money I have to shell out to get there, and I'll pay you, if your request is not incommensurate.

Second, they must have been aware of at least one problem with the plastering since I asked them, as part of their contract, to remove an electric fireplace (you know, one of those hideous eyesores that look like a TV) and a defect like #2 (even though not exactly the one in the photo, but very similar) appeared in the very spot where the electric fireplace used to be. So they must be really horrible at repairing plaster.

I am constantly astounded by the poor workmanship of the people I manage to hire in my area. I might be very bad at picking them, or they look at me and think "hey let's rip off this guy", but what are the odds? This country has got very few good craftsmen.

"While the plastering is probably pretty bad and the task was hard to accomplish, I realised I hired the wrong people."

Based on your photos, the task wasn't hard to accomplish. It would have been pretty trivial, but time consuming with the right tools.

"First, I would have paid them more if they had told me the plastering needed rework. I am not cheap"

On the basis of the second photo and what looks like their attempt to use a sponge so smooth the filler. I do not think that paying them a premium would have resulted in a decent finish.

"I am constantly astounded by the poor workmanship of the people I manage to hire in my area."

There have always been crap tradesmen and decent tradesmen. The rubbish recommender websites have made it easier for cowboys to part people from their money.

Sorry, you got stung, as a decorator I take umbrage when I see a fellow (supposed) "decorators" doing a rubbish job. I genuinely wish I could help you but on the balance of probability, unless you live in west London, I cannot.

Based on your photos, those imperfections could be sanded back with the correct abrasives and Fetool/Mirka sanders connected to a dust extractors.

IMO it would, and should be cheaper than replastering.

Thanks opps. I would hire you but I’m in the “wrong” area.

I was recommended a plasterer and painter who advised I should probably have the problematic walls skimmed. I am not sure, I am worried that would complicate the situation (more layers) as well as give me a different finish from the rest.

I don’t know what to do.

Last edited:
Are those raised patches in the first pic 'spongy' at all, or does it all feel quite solid?

Difficult situation. I had many, many patches in my place similar to pic 2 when I moved in. Some walls I managed to salvage with a rather labour-intensive sanding exercise, the worse ones I had to re-skim. Assuming the wall is 'sound' (hence my first question), then a decent plasterer should be able to skim them.

As I didn't have a dust extractor I tried to isolate the sanded walls by sticking up some plastic dust sheet and then having a very thorough hoover afterwards. Because the filler was so soft compared to the surrounding plaster, it didn't sand evenly and so also required a fair amount of re-filling. You probably won't know until you try. I then sanded the entire wall with a high-grit paper to ensure that my paint finish would be consistent - those 'shiny' areas often happen because the filler is very smooth whereas the rest of the wall has texture from many years and many coats of paint.

Can any of the neighbours recommend a decorator perhaps? I feel your pain trying to find reliable trades when moving to a new area, I've been let down several times.

Are those raised patches in the first pic 'spongy' at all, or does it all feel quite solid?
They are solid.

The process you described is well beyond my absolute beginner DIY skills, unfortunately, but I am quite glad you confirmed skimming is not an outlandish idea; asking the neighbours is something smart and simple I hadn't thought about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back