fixed wiring or flex?

paulh53 said:
Go On "BAS" Have a Go :cool:
Nah - sorry - I'm too busy wiring up my DIN-rail box to control my fan from the shower circuit, and contemplating accepting the challenge to put a 13A plug on the end of some 10mm² T/E...

Sponsored Links
The best comment here has to be the hose pipe!! A good analogy.

Flex is available, in sizes that I ave seen, upto 50mm/sq. Used extensivly on temporary generator sets......why?? BECAUSE THEY GET MOVED ALOT.

I cant add a thing, except to laugh once more at the possibility of some chap buying drums of flex at extra cost to wire his house, and the same chap buying meters of housepipe at extra cost to plumb it aswell - :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

what about somebody wiring afull final circuit from db to extremity in flex alone???? any comments? ie lamposts in a communal garden wired from outdoor inspection cabinet through ducts to each and every lampost incorporating various joints in inspection chambers (underground) in the form of adaptable boxes with flex glands drilled in??? Am i anal or is there something fundamentally wrong with this. Oh sorry there cant be. it was installed by a NIC approved contractor. Any comments?

what about somebody wiring afull final circuit from db to extremity in flex alone???? any comments? ie lamposts in a communal garden wired from outdoor inspection cabinet through ducts to each and every lampost incorporating various joints in inspection chambers (underground) in the form of adaptable boxes with flex glands drilled in??? Am i anal or is there something fundamentally wrong with this. Oh sorry there cant be. it was installed by a NIC approved contractor. Any comments?

Why have you resurrected a thread from 2004??
And what is your obsession with flex??

Sponsored Links
There is no real reason why you can't use flex.

There are some circumstances where the cable would need to be flex, eg a window fan, or if the fan gets it supply from a flex outlet.

In a normal installation, flat cable is the norm. Usually it's buried in the plaster or in the ceiling void. It is usual to install cable that includes an earth wire, though this will rarely be connected to the actual fan.

If the fan has particularly small terminals, then solid flat cable is better, as the wire goes in the hole first time.

In "another" forum, any topic that has had no activity for more than 180 days is automatically locked so no pillock can ressurect an old post.

It would be great if a similar facility were in place here, IMO

spank.gif

Now, that speaks volumes!!

I'd go with a slap wristies, Ban wants to flog your naked buttocks til they redden...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back