Fixing hot tap - combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Apologies if my question is obvious to some/most! I am fumbling in the dark here.
Am a new home owner, and have a leaky hot tap in the upstairs bathroom. More specifically, we have a 1901 Bristan pillar bath/shower tap, and water is leaking from the spindle on the hot tap.
I can't see an isolation valve on the pipe so I was planning to just shut off the main stopcock, so I can replace any tap washers and see if that sorts things.

We have a combi boiler. My question is this: when I shut off the mains water and then drain the hot tap, will the boiler will try and heat up any water coming to the tap, run dry because I've shut off mains water, and break? The boiler manual advises against switching the boiler off (so am inclined to do as instructed!)

Ta in advance

Sponsored Links
Don't know what boiler you have ,but I have never heard of any manufacturer that forbids you to turn off their boiler if you turn off the mains water.
Turn the boiler off by its on/ off switch. Close the mains stopcock ,and work on your tap.

Sponsored Links
Turn the electric supply to the boiler off, turn off the water. Open all the taps downstairs, when the water stops open the taps up stairs.

Now you can work on the tap.

Leaking spindle is not the tap washer.
The top part with the white insert will unscrew by hand may be tight.
Then you should see a cross head screw, unscrew this and the tap crutch head should ease off ( may take some wiggling and pressure ).
Then watch this, in principle it's what you then need to do. You can use wool and vaseline if you haven't got ptfe or silicone grease.

I don't think your tap is a quater turn tap if it is you'll need a new cartridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back