Flat tyre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pumped up my front right tyre a week ago to pressure 35 ,it looked flat so went to garage and it was 8. Slow puncture? Anyone recommend a mobile pump? My cigarette lighter isht working but maybe hook up to battery
20230826_185353.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yup, slow puncture, or tyre not seating on the rim well and letting air by, or valve letting air by? I would spend your money on getting a local tyre fitter to sort it. You might be able to test the valve by getting a mixture of washing up liquid and water, dipping your finger in it, taking the valve cap off then wetting the top of the valve to try and form a bubble to see if a bubble forms and gets bigger. Have you hit the kerb with this tyre recently? Can you see if there's a nail in the tyre? How old is the tyre?

Yup, slow puncture, or tyre not seating on the rim well and letting air by, or valve letting air by? I would spend your money on getting a local tyre fitter to sort it. You might be able to test the valve by getting a mixture of washing up liquid and water, dipping your finger in it, taking the valve cap off then wetting the top of the valve to try and form a bubble to see if a bubble forms and gets bigger. Have you hit the kerb with this tyre recently? Can you see if there's a nail in the tyre? How old is the tyre?
Or spit on the valve & watch for a saliva bubble bursting ;)

Norseman, yeah that, for those who've been round the block a bit. Just thought I'd do the squeaky clean Blue Peter version for this one. Just wait until I suggest breaking out the stick backed plastic : - )

Sponsored Links
Check the valve then fit the spare wheel if the valve is ok......don't let the tyre go down to 8 psi there's a chance of rolling the tyre off the rim.
John :)

Check the valve then fit the spare wheel if the valve is ok......don't let the tyre go down to 8 psi there's a chance of rolling the tyre off the rim.
John :)
Very good advice B. If the spare looks a bit ratty or it's a space saver (narrower that the normal ones) you really have to get this sorted ASAP or it could be dangerous using the spare for anything but getting you to the tyre fitter (if the tyre is the issue).

If it’s started losing air only since you pumped it up, there’s a good chance you’ve pu,ped a bit of grit or dirt into the valve which is stopping it sealing. Check the valve first as others have suggested, pump it up then let some air out of the valve and that should blast any dirt off of the valve seat. Make sure you fit the dust caps - that’s what they are there for as well as being a secondary seal.

It looks like a Peugeot Partner or Expert so should have a spare wheel.
In a rusty cradle under the back, with a seized and rusty hook holding it in place. Brilliant!
I bet the spare is flat anyway....!
John

Got a spare on my old Range Rover that loses about 1lb psi per week.
Tyre was new & never been on the road, alloy wheel good as new. Whole wheel immersed in water tank by tyre fitters .. no bubbles.
Wheel then stripped down, rim checked & tyre refitted with fresh sealer & new tubeless valve .. still loses just under 1lb per week :unsure:

I just air the thing up to the correct pressure very 5-6 weeks .. can't be arsed with it anymore.

Last edited:
The wheel doesn't look very old and rusty. Examine the edge of the rim for dent damage. Leaky valve or puncture is easy to find, use a garden sprayer of water and WUL and look for bubbles

You mustn't drive on it flat.

A scrapyard may sell you a steel wheel and tyre for a very modest price.

If it has a spacesaver under the boot you will be able to fit a standard steel wheel. Oil the threads on the bolt before you start as it will be rusty and seized.

Pump examples

Is there a Wilko still open near you?

Aldi and Lidl have cheap ones from time to time. I keep one in the boot. Keep the receipt as the guarantee may last longer than the pump.

Last edited:
Is there a Wilko still open near you?

I picked one of these up a while ago, in a pound shop, for £6 https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-analogue-air-compressor/p/0523450

It's just a bare bones 12v compressor, with a hopelessly inaccurate gauge. They are all pretty much the same, same motor, same cheaply made compressor, and gauge, so why pay more?

I don't normally bother to carry one in the boot, I have proper mains compressor in my garage at home, and a spare wheel in the boot - but I needed a little 12v compressor, to blow up a 'Lock n Level' gadget I bought for the caravan. Basically it's an airbag you drive the caravan wheel onto, then blow it up to get the caravan side to side level. It had it's first outing, over the past couple of weeks - both it, and the compressor worked surprisingly well.

The Lock n Level, is just a length of what seems to be reinforced plastic hose, with a heavy steel clamp at each end to seal it, and a tyre type valve to inflate it.

I have a mini electric air pump (along with a bottle of sealant plus other temporary puncture repair items) that I used to carry with me on my European motorcycle trips. Never had cause to use it myself but it has got two of my mates home from the South of France on two different occasions. It's now in the boot of our A3. This one has a metal piston - most other ones have plastic pistons that don’t last long.

Take the wheel off and look very carefully all around the thread, then both sides

A repair will be cheaper than a pump

Sponsored Links
Back