Flat tyre

Sponsored Links
Is it really still £10?

It is where I go, they also fit part worns - 25 for a good one, 35 for a very good one - so if the tyre is fairly worn and punctured I will usually get it changed.

It is where I go, they also fit part worns - 25 for a good one, 35 for a very good one - so if the tyre is fairly worn and punctured I will usually get it changed.
Good price. Where I am, it was £15 many years ago before the hyper inflation. Even then they could not sustain themselves and closed down.

Sponsored Links
FFS, whatever you do don't take it to a tyre place for a ten quid puncture repair like a normal person would.
£10 --- when was the last time you had a puncture repaired?;) £17 last week!!!!

£10 at my local scrapyard (Albert Looms at Derby). £15 for a used part-worn, good ones are £25. I had a pair of Bridgestone Turanza tyres put on mine at the start of the year and still plenty of tread left.

Quick fit wanted £25 when my wife went and the moody fitter wasn't interested in applying the 'nurse discount' they have or had. Managed to get it done through the lease company somehow.

£10 --- when was the last time you had a puncture repaired?;) £17 last week!!!!

It was £5 before COVID (very competitive Asian tyre market where I live), I don't know where these inflation figures come from but many things like that have doubled in the last 4 or 5 years - the brick crushing yard where I tip my surplus hardcore went from £10 to £20 overnight - they just skipped straight past £12 or even £15!. It wasn't that long ago where a few places offered free puncture repairs (obviously to draw you in and try and flog you a few tyres) but they've long gone.

We're running 3 cars at the moment so I might have to look into that gloop or that sticky elastic stuff.

We're running 3 cars at the moment so I might have to look into that gloop or that sticky elastic stuff.

Gloop means you can't have the tyre repaired, and have to scrap it.

It was £5 before COVID (

There’s no way anyone would carry out a permanent tyre repair to British standards for a fiver. At best, you’ll get a temporary string repair without inspecting the inside of the tyre. Dangerous. I’d always recommend removing tyre, inspecting damage, plug patch repair, new valve and rebalance.

I've used it successfully on my lawn tractor, but not sure I would trust it on a higher speed vehicle.

It’s a get - you - home product, and may do just that if the tyre injury isn’t too bad.
Kwik Fit supply there own product that has no claimed effect on the tyre.
There’s only one proper puncture repair, as Mottie has explained.
John

I just air the thing up to the correct pressure very 5-6 weeks .. can't be arsed with it anymore.
Crappy porous alloy perhaps?

Half a litre of tyre slime will probably put an end to the problem

-

Puncture repair prices seem to have increased in recent years, but I guess that's the cost of inflation these days ;)

Crappy porous alloy perhaps?

Half a litre of tyre slime will probably put an end to the problem
Possible I suppose, but the wheel looks to be 'as new' & the four on the car are now 36 years old & none of the tyres loose air.

No trouble airing the spare up with my cordless pump. The wheel is stowed arse-about-face in the load area which used to mean lifting it out to get at the valve, but then I fitted a commercial valve extension which facilitates access with the wheel in place (y)

Whole wheel immersed in water tank by tyre fitters .. no bubbles.
You'll never, ever find a puncture that slow with a water tank. Use a solution of water and washing up liquid. Lay the wheel flat on the ground and soak the top edge around the rim with it including the valve. Wait up to ten minutes. If nothing, turn it over and do the other side. If still nothing, try the tread area. What you are looking for will not be decent sized bubbles of any kind but a creamy 'foam'. Be patient and you’ll find it. One of the common places is around the valve where it pulls through the rim. The rubber goes hard which is why it is good practice to replace the valve every time the tyre comes off. Check it with your valve extension on in case that is your problem.

You'll never, ever find a puncture that slow with a water tank. Use a solution of water and washing up liquid. Lay the wheel flat on the ground and soak the top edge around the rim with it including the valve. Wait up to ten minutes. If nothing, turn it over and do the other side. If still nothing, try the tread area. What you are looking for will not be decent sized bubbles of any kind but a creamy 'foam'. Be patient and you’ll find it. One of the common places is around the valve where it pulls through the rim. The rubber goes hard which is why it is good practice to replace the valve every time the tyre comes off. Check it with your valve extension on in case that is your problem.
The valve has been replaced & the rim re-sealed. The tyre was brand new & to date has never been on the road, also the pressure loss pre-dates fitment of the extension.

Patience isn't my strong point these days, anymore than humping wheels about at my age :(
Though having said that your advice is still appreciated Mottie.

Sponsored Links
Back