A problem with plan A is that the McAlpine trap doesn't quite sit in the joint:

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_151642_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_151642_HDR.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220810_151742_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_151742_HDR.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 52
Plan B has a joint that does sit well in the outlet coupling joint, but is not a trap, and I have no way to connect them...

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_151854_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_151854_HDR.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20220810_151859_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_151859_HDR.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220810_151912_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_151912_HDR.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
-I'm thinking that plan A is the least problematic, but I need to find a trap that is a mm or two smaller than the McAlpine to fit into the waste outlet coupling - any ideas?
-The other option would be to use the flexi pipe as the trap, where it dips under the bath side - fewer joints so less to go wrong?
-The black waste pipe is lower than the bath waste, so the bath will drain, but will having a longer trap create a flow problem?
-Forgive my ignorance - what's the advantage of a waterless trap?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The inside of the waste coupler had a bit of a lip on the inside of it - I've sanded that off and got the McAlpine trap and flexi pipe attached - phew! So it looks like plan A is the way forward. It will effectively have a double trap (the shallow trap, then the dip under the bath side), so likely a gurgly waste!

Last edited:
Lack of planning is the reason you have a problem .Even with a plinth will look a mess with all that exposed pipework , looks like you need to start again , firstly by removing the wall mounted taps , they go in last not first .Why is the waste not running out thru wall to connect externally with toilet waste ?
You need to provide a lot more info if you hope for a sound solution.

I connected ours from downstairs few holes in the ceiling job done and also what holds the bath in place mine hand slotted brackets and pins which I had to lower the bath on to

Lack of planning is the reason you have a problem .Even with a plinth will look a mess with all that exposed pipework , looks like you need to start again , firstly by removing the wall mounted taps , they go in last not first .Why is the waste not running out thru wall to connect externally with toilet waste ?
You need to provide a lot more info if you hope for a sound solution.
The exposed pipework is all hidden behind boxing, which I've put to one side to install the bath waste, so no problem there.
Lack of reading is why you're suggesting connecting externally with toilet waste (do feel free to look at post #4 about the waste pipe run).
Plumbing the feed for the taps tends to happen before tiling over the feed, which yes, happens before installing the wall mounted taps (yet to go in).
I'd be grateful if you could offer a lot more information about what more information would be useful...
Cheers, Stephen

Last edited:
I connected ours from downstairs few holes in the ceiling job done and also what holds the bath in place mine hand slotted brackets and pins which I had to lower the bath on to
Yes, with hindsight, this would have been what would have happened, had we not made a bad judgement call to have a professional install the bathroom, leaving us to sort out his attempt to do so...
The bath has 4 adjustable feet to sit on.

Last edited:
The exposed pipework is all hidden behind boxing, which I've put to one side to install the bath waste, so no problem there.
Lack of reading is why you're suggesting connecting externally with toilet waste (do feel free to look at post #4 about the waste pipe run).
Plumbing the feed for the taps tends to happen before tiling over the feed, which yes, happens before installing the wall mounted taps (yet to go in).
I'd be grateful if you could offer a lot more information about what more information would be useful...
Cheers, Stephen
No clear explanation in #4 , Floor boards run left to right in photo so waste runs inline with with joists (on the right )so would not need to go thru them.?
Why are the water pipes not hidden under floor or in wall ?

OK, that's a flat no then I'm, afraid, it would be advised to drop the waste under the floor and then back up to meet the tee.

I understand your thinking - if the tee's at the level of the bottom of the bath then surely the pipework under the floor just acts as a large trap (u bend) and you'd be right and draining won't really be an issue until the bath is almost empty when the weight of the water just won't be enough to continue the free draining down and back up again and it will slow significanlty. Also you really don't want all that waste soapy water left sitting in the large section of waste pipe under the floor, you will be plagued with problems with blockages over time, I can just about guaratee it.

No clear explanation in #4 , Floor boards run left to right in photo so waste runs inline with with joists (on the right )so would not need to go thru them.?
Why are the water pipes not hidden under floor or in wall ?
-So there's a clear explanation in post #4 as to why it's not possible to run the waste out through the wall to the external waste pipe
-The water pipes are not hidden under the floor or in wall because I foolishly hired a professional, who turned out to be out of his depth, to install the bathroom
-Yes, you're absolutely right that I can run the bath waste under the floor and back up to the black waste
-No explanation, clear or otherwise, in post #26 of what more information might be useful to provide

So, bickering to oneside, what additional information would be useful?

If you want to use the shallow trap then either file down/stanley trim the flange on the trap itself, you will get it to fit in eventually, or file out the waste hole a little, the former would be better.

Still doesn't get away with the fact that I really wouldn't advise going under the floor then back up to the tee. I've seen it done with showers and baths before and believe you me after a while they turn into a right mare.

OK, that's a flat no then I'm, afraid, it would be advised to drop the waste under the floor and then back up to meet the tee.

I understand your thinking - if the tee's at the level of the bottom of the bath then surely the pipework under the floor just acts as a large trap (u bend) and you'd be right and draining won't really be an issue until the bath is almost empty when the weight of the water just won't be enough to continue the free draining down and back up again and it will slow significanlty. Also you really don't want all that waste soapy water left sitting in the large section of waste pipe under the floor, you will be plagued with problems with blockages over time, I can just about guaratee it.
Thanks - looks like I'll need to think again...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back