Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run some external grade Cat5e cable (that I already have) up my garden to my shed, however I need to protect it from being destroyed by Foxes and other wildlife.

I am considering running it in 20mm flexible galvanised conduit, and am wondering if the galvanised conduit will stand up to the weather outside being exposed to the rain.

I know it is only IP40 rated under best conditions and I am also aware that external grade Cat5e SWA cable also exists; however I just want to know if the flexible galvanised conduit is laid on the ground and covered in a small amount of soil to conceal, will it stand the test of time?

Regards: Elliott.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I need to run some external grade Cat5e cable (that I already have) up my garden to my shed, however I need to protect it from being destroyed by Foxes and other wildlife. ... I am considering running it in 20mm flexible galvanised conduit, and am wondering if the galvanised conduit will stand up to the weather outside being exposed to the rain. ... I know it is only IP40 rated under best conditions and I am also aware that external grade Cat5e SWA cable also exists; however I just want to know if the flexible galvanised conduit is laid on the ground and covered in a small amount of soil to conceal, will it stand the test of time?
It would obviously be a lot better than nothing, and undoubtedly would last a good long time (although probably not 'for ever') underground - I've certainly seen plenty of galvanised steel things which have survived for years/decades whist in contact with ground.

The IP rating is not really an issue, since water would do no harm to the cable.

Kind Regards, John

if it going to be buried why not just use plastic corrugated conduit
That's probably what I would do (inde4ed, have done in my time), and what I nearly suggested to Elliot, but I suspected that he probably wouldn't consider it adequate protection against "Foxes and other wildlife"!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
if it going to be buried why not just use plastic corrugated conduit

I might paint it black if I go the metal conduit route, I need a way to keep foxes from chewing through the thin cat5e cable like they have done with my 13mm plastic irrigation pipe. I am not sure if the foxes would do the same to the plastic conduit.

I will reconsider and update you all on here in due course.

I might paint it black if I go the metal conduit route,
Oh, I had assumed that you were thinking of burying the conduit. If not, then I think it would probably last for a long time (if merely exposed to rain etc.), whether painted or not - quite probably until the concept of Cat5e had become 'obsolete' :)

Kind Regards, John

Oh, I had assumed that you were thinking of burying the conduit. If not, then I think it would probably last for a long time (if merely exposed to rain etc.), whether painted or not - quite probably until the concept of Cat5e had become 'obsolete' :)

Kind Regards, John

Went for this in the end, IP54 rated PVC coated steel conduit: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHSP20B.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back