Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long before we have a carpet fitted (with underlay) in our front bedroom once plastering and decorating completed - normal floorboards with a small void (where you can see some dust, debris and wiring) between this room and the lounge underneath.

Does anyone know if you need to 'fill' gaps between each floorboard or do you you only do this if they are big gaps (how big?!)

The reason ask: I've read that by vacuuming your carpet it pulls dust from between the floorboards - so I'm concerned that the 'dusty void' may get through the carpet (even with underlay!). I'd assumed that once the underlay and carpet were in place it didn't really matter what was going on underneath!

This product: https://www.draughtex.co.uk/ looked like it might be ideal, but wonder if it's overkill and perhaps everyone has floorboards with gaps, dusty voids and doesn't take any special action prior to carpeting.

(I always fill between the skirting and the floorboards.)

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
back in the day people used to lay newspaper over the floor before underlay and carpet.
It makes for great reading 20 years on.
My floorboards at home are horrible. They are T&G but with a good 1/4" gap even when fitted together. Unless you use thick underlay you can feel the gaps.
That are big enough to collect dust/grit - even pencils.

There is now a 'proper" stiff paper that you can use.

Thanks for your reply - yes the paper idea does seem to be a good option. I can understand how this would stop dust 'attacking' the underlay and underside of the carpet over time.

Without the paper, I'm still not sure how dust could be pulled through a gap in a floorboard then underlay and finally the carpet by a vacuum cleaner though?!

Usually overboard with hardboard , stops any dodgy floor board gaps showing thru carpet .

Sponsored Links
Thank you - hadn't thought about that before. Not sure if it would make the floor too high, but it would stop any dust... My main concern is that the 'dust' that will be under the carpet/underlay from the void will get through when it is being vacuumed - essentially I'm worried that once the carpet is fitted I'll be constantly drawing up dust into the room unless I take action like the paper or hardwood prior to carpet fitting. Perhaps this is unlikely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back