Flourescent to led, with electronic gear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon folks,
Fitting has 2 t8 36w tubes that seem to pack up after about 9 months so got a couple of Energizer18w led's to fit, instructions that came with the tubes only show fitting instructions for a magnectic ballast and are hopeless, the tube after much looking shows the power to one end only but no polarity so does that mean they can go either way?
From the pictures should i disconnect the 2 wires at one end of the fitting and use the 4 wires at the other end as the power to the tube eg pos and neg x2 direct from the mains choc blok, if it did not light should i reverse the wires at the chock blok,

Attachments

• light 002.JPG
    light 002.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 238
  • light 1 001.JPG
    light 1 001.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 240
  • light 1 003.JPG
    light 1 003.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
There is no polarity in terms of AC items working.
That electronic driver is of no use with LEDs, so will have to be removed.
How the LED tubes are wired depends entirely on how they are manufactured - instructions should be supplied.

Ultimately it will be far easier to sling that old fluorescent fitting away and just buy an LED light fitting.

I've fitted them Energizer led tubes (and the supplied replacement start fuse) to 1960's & 1970s fittings and they work fine

I fitted another make and you just feed one end with Live & Neutral and completely disconnect the Balast. Unless the fitting has a starter in which case The Led tube box has one inside for the ones I fitted anyway.

Sponsored Links
Cheers everyone, will remove electronic gear and use the wires connected to 3/4/5/6 and insulate 1 and 2, after reading around i am surprised that Energizer do not include a sticker to say that led tubes are fitted sp will dymo a couple up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back