Flueless gas fire making my wall go black!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi all
I'm new to this forum so I hope I am posting this in the right place!
Last year hubby had a flueless gas fire installed for me ( I love real flame fires)
spent £800 quid of our hard earned dosh on the fire, £ 300 on installation.
About two months in, I noticed our lovely, ( recently painted wall) turning black!
Phoned the manufacturer of the fire ( the shop that sold it to us completely
washed their hands.)
Manufacturer replaced fire saying they had a similar problem with another customer ( same thing happened)
New fire in, and guess what, the wall is blacker than ever!
Hubby is disgusted, fire now not under warranty anymore.
Has anyone else encountered a problem like this?
Can you help?
Thanks
Anna
:) :(

Sponsored Links
Flueless gas fire :eek: :eek: :eek:

you could get a Corgi in to check it is burning correctly.

or you could hire a skip while you and your family are still alive.

Do you smoke?

try the links at the bottom of this page :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks John
I was in the wrong place then :LOL:
Lets hope I can find the solution here then, as
disgruntled hubby is painting the living room this weekend :rolleyes:
Anna

i'd never touch a flueless gas fire, i really don't trust their safety.

i know british gas have a policy of not even working on them due to safety concerns, if a company like bg won't deal with them i'd be worried. i personally don't think i know a single corgi registered engineer that will deal with them.

Turn it off NOW and get it checked by a Corgi if you can get one to look at a flueless. If its producing soot it is incomplete combustion which means it could be poisoning you and your family.

Painting over the problem will not save you

GET IT CHECKED please.

I'm not a big fan of flueless fires either. I would suggest that the black marks on your wall has been caused by dirt sucked in and fired out through the cat which then sticks to your wall.. You may also see condensation form on the wall also when the fire is first started up.. The cat is generally mounted in the top of the fire, in a position where the gasses coming from the fire will flow up your wall causing damage to your decor.

Always ensure that your fire is serviced on the dot, it has been installed PRECISELY as the manufacturers state and always ensure that you have a decent quality Carbon Monoxide alarm in your room.... Dont bother with those cards with the dots that turn black that so many folk buy.. You never look at them so are less than useless

Turn it off NOW and get it checked by a Corgi if you can get one to look at a flueless. If its producing soot it is incomplete combustion which means it could be poisoning you and your family.
Painting over the problem will not save you GET IT CHECKED please.

sound piece of advise TURN IT OFF call in a registered gas engineer cozzmic is right on the nail. faulty appliances KILL!

It has been checked twice ( just asked him indoors)
by Corgi peeps
he goes with the dust theory carried by convection up the wall
and mixed with high temp steam?
Anna
( the blonde Anna :LOL:

Like someone said earlier, British Gas don't work on them full stop due to the safety concerns they have, and I'm saying it as I am a BG engineer.

Have you got air vents?

In my personal opinion, I would be very very concerned about the stains, DO NOT USE THE APPLIANCE- Also, a Carbon Monoxide Detector is a very very good investment

Sorry to sound melodramatic, but I'd rather you be safe than sorry!

Regards

Hardly any respectable RGI's will touch flueless gas fires.

They are a death waiting to happen.

Get rid of it asap.

It has been checked twice ( just asked him indoors)
by Corgi peeps
he goes with the dust theory carried by convection up the wall
and mixed with high temp steam?
Anna
( the blonde Anna :LOL:

this is fine so long as the guy checking it is fully conversant with this type of fire I have had no experience with this type of fire so avoid them like the plague. but any staining around any combustible appliance is suspect. I certainly would not put my name to one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back