Flueless gas fire making my wall go black!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we agree 100% that the only safe Flueless fire is in a skip.

As for relying on a CO detector to save your life. it may, if its in the right place at the time.

Bit like having air bags in the car, should be ok hitting a wall at 70 mph.

Notice the use of should and may, in other words you won't know till you wake up, or not, whatever the case maybe.

Sponsored Links
As I have stated, I'm not a big fan of Flueless fires, they have a great many drawbacks... The need for a permanent vent, Condensation, Importance of a quality service... However, I would say that just as many folk manage to choke themselves with a badly installed/ maintained open flued fire.. Not to mention BBUs. The only fatality that I am consciously aware of is the incident with the girl and her dog who died in her bedroom following the installer failing to check the burner pressure.. Is this the fault of the equipment? A correctly installed CO alarm could well have saved a life..

Any appliance not correctly installed has the potential to kill a person... Should we throw them all in the skip for fear of our own inability to carry out our own profession safely?

Have you called the installer to see it and comment?

Did the shop supply AND install it or was it installed by an independent?

Do the installation instructions ask for ventilation to the outside and was this fitted in the correct locations?

Just possibly it might be static charged dust but it might be unburnt carbon from incompletely burnt gas.

Did the manufacturers visit and/or comment?

Have any of the visiting CORGIs used an instrument from the space program called a flue gas analyser to measure the carbon monoxide in the room? If not then they were wasting your time and I would almost suggest they could be reported to CORGI ( although some of the CORGIs on here think its OK not to own one! )

As its potentially dangerous and someone and their dog was killed by one at Cymbran then the HSE might almost be interested

Tony

Maybe true Corgigrouch, an air bag may also save your life.

Cats have a limited life in both use and age, in a few years when they start to pass the sell by date expect to see a lot more deaths.

If you are willing to put your name on them, fine, you're the first I know of.

What happens if the family dog decides to plunk itself in front of the air vent, or a chair gets push back to the wall whist the kids play, and that's not to mention the number of vents with paper stuck on them because of the draft.

Sponsored Links
I think that we can all agree that both CO alarms and airbags are a last resort for when all else has failed...

A properly serviced and maintained fire is perfectly safe and yes, if I was to fit a flueless, then I would put my name on it because it would be installed to the letter of the MI... Similarly, when the cat is out of date or does not meet the manufacturers specs, then the fire is cut and capped... As agile has stated, the use of a FGA is vital when dealing with flueless fires. Periodic servicing is down to the user to arrange, and it is down to us to not only have the tools for the job, but also to service the appliance correctly... I am shocked at the standard of servicing from some RGIs Some of the fires that I visit for the first time have clearly never been removed for service, despite the fire having been serviced every year and the customer is shocked that I actually remove the fire and / or closure plate.

As for the issue of vents, then this is just as valid when applied to BBUs and yet we all work on these without a word

Its amazing how many BBUs I go to which are 25 years old and still do not have any ventilation!

The danger that I see is that the owner does not bother to get his flueless fire serviced regularly.

I almost wonder when the next one is killed if some stick will be given to the installer who did not send a postcard reminder of the need to do the annual service!

Tony

I almost wonder when the next one is killed if some stick will be given to the installer who did not send a postcard reminder of the need to do the annual service!

I do this for my customers Tony, if they chose to ignore it then there is nothing else you can do :rolleyes:

Hi guys
we have two air vents in the room both on the outside wall.
I am going to ring a corgi eng tomorrow and see what he says.
Meantimes, no matter how cold, the fire stays off.
The shop owner recommended the installer, but washed his hands
Pontious Pilate style as soon as the problem occurred.
How come so many places sell these fires then?
Thanks for all the replies, BTW.
:)

I visited a popular DIY shed this evening and had a reccy on their range of gas fires.. I counted eight flueless fires on display.. Fortunately most of them have an electric alternative which, when you take in to account all of the disadvantages of a flueless is always a better option..

Lotusflower, is your flueless the only form of heating in that room?

After just over 3 years- and 3 re-decorations- my walls have gone (as amy whitehouse says- BACK TO BLACK).
Focal point fire-- new fire- still in box- bought off ebay. I got a man with a corgi sign on his van to connect it up.
Said I did not need a vent- seeing as house is open plan- to to kitchen which has vents.
Initially- problems with igniting- but he fiddled with a few things- and it ignited ok after that.
Lately- noticed some dark patches on wall- wife cleaned them with a clean cloth- and cloth was really sooty (no Harry Corbet jokes please).
I was horrified--especially as I have had a constant cough for last few years and despite visits to docs and x rays and lung function tests- they can not find the cause.
Yesterday- the gas fire is turned off totally.
I have today ordered a new flueless gas fire from Burley. I have obtained a new 100mm '2' draught free vent (100 square centi metre) and I will fit it- as advised .

I still believe flueless fires DO work- but- only when installed correctly and to the letter of the law.
If they did not work/function correctly- I am sure the manufacturers would not consider making and selling them for fear of retribution .

Meanwhile- My wife is cleaning and painting the walls, ceiling and all other surfaces in the room and up the stairs in this open plane house .

I know older plumbers (whoops- sorry- heating engineers as they like to be called now) dont like flueless fires. But- It's the same as when they did not like plastic piping for domestic use or a bit later - plastic pipes etc for heating . But- lots of them have come around to it recently .
Older folks dont like change - It's a known fact .
Pete

Like someone said earlier, British Gas don't work on them full stop due to the safety concerns they have, and I'm saying it as I am a BG engineer.

Have you got air vents?

In my personal opinion, I would be very very concerned about the stains, DO NOT USE THE APPLIANCE- Also, a Carbon Monoxide Detector is a very very good investment

Sorry to sound melodramatic, but I'd rather you be safe than sorry!

Regards

It's mandatory to fit alarm with these death traps

battery CM detector- has never made a bleep.
3 or 4 stick on ones- black dot things- never a sign of change .

I appreciate your concern . Thank you .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back