Fluorescent fitting C/W PIR.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea where I can get a 6ft twin fluorescent fitting with a PIR on?

The fitting in question operates by having both lamps on at a dimmed light until somebody approaches, the lamps then come on to full brightness.

No wholesaler has been able to help so if anybody has a link to a site that sells these fittings that'd be great.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help me. :D

Sponsored Links
You cant dim a fluorescent tube, end of story.

You could have one small tube on all teh time and another larger one controlled by the PIR but choose your PIR carefully, many dont work with florries or energy saving lamps.

you can mate but they need special control gear inside them.quite often used in hospitals

Sponsored Links
You cant dim a fluorescent tube, end of story.

That's odd, I've a customer with a warehouse full off them. Two have fell down and he wants them replacing. They don't look that old. The ballasts in them are made by Phillips but they don't make the fittings.

You can get high frequency dimmable ballasts, tho from experience when turned up to full they take a bit of time for the lamp to get to full brightness. I'm not sure if these will be suitable for use with PIRs.

Could you use the control gear from the fittings that have fallen down to modify a standard fitting? I'm not familiar with these type of lights myself so this idea may be a dead end :oops:

i've seen dimmable fluorescent fittings before, in the Cardiff CIA offices they have what look like standard 4 tube modular fittings which are dimmable by what looks like a standard rotary dimmer, they dim just like a normal tungsten lamp which i thought was kinda cool.

RS used to sell those lights a few years back, I'm not sure if they still do but it's worth a look in the catalogue.

i've seen dimmable fluorescent fittings before, in the Cardiff CIA offices they have what look like standard 4 tube modular fittings which are dimmable by what looks like a standard rotary dimmer, they dim just like a normal tungsten lamp which i thought was kinda cool.
Its a 10 volt system. The way I understand it is each light has a pair of terminals. One gives out 10 volts. The other takes it back. Depending how many volts it gets back, the light fitting operates at different intensities. The 10 volt feeds and returns can be parallelled and lead to one controller (which can look just like a dimmer). Or you can use a larger automatic control system for a warehouse, say.

I was once in a lecture hall, with dimmable fluorescent twin downlights. I gazed in awe as the lecturer simply slid a single slider on the wall, to dim the whole room. I had no idea how this worked at the time, and was amazed :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back