Flying? Soon?

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Which was the budget airline that was making a big thing about having cheaper fares if all you had was hand luggage? (presumably to reduce their ground-handling fees).

Their business model has just been knocked for six, whoever it was...

Both of the big two, to a degree.

Ryanair try to encourage Hand-Luggage only, by charging for any checked baggage. easyJet allow you to cram as much into your carry-on as possible, as long as it fits in the space allowed and you can lift it over your head.

Reduces their handling fees but also allows quicker turnrounds, as their business models rely on having the plane up and flying for as much of the day as possible.

Ah well - it's all academic to me - my flying days are over for the foreseeable future.

Given the propensity for airlines to lose and delay luggage, the risks of getting stranded at airports, the way that bags are hurled about, and the tendency for baggage handlers to rifle through them, there is absolutely no way that I would fly without hand luggage containing a washbag and change of clothes, and there is absolutely no way that I will consign delicate and valuable electronic items like laptop/CD player/phone/camera etc to my hold luggage.

Nor am I confident that I can rely on the flight attendants to provide me with enough water to keep me adequately hydrated during the flight, so I want to take a bottle of water on board.

I wonder who the first poor souls will be who are stranded at the airport on their return because their bags containing their car keys have gone astray.

ban-all-sheds said:
and the tendency for baggage handlers to rifle through them,

As you know, a disproportionately large number of baggage handlers are immigrants.

Please abstain from airing your racist views on a public forum.

Sponsored Links
I expect that National Express Coaches will also be banning hand luggage but they have always been a little slow to get anything organised.

Amusingly all this publicity about needing a clear plastic carrier bag but no indications on where you can get them!

One of my frequent flyer tricks was to take a large coat with massive zipped pockets with all the bits inside which was whipped off inside the plane.

Tony

I wonder why planes attract all the attention. I was on a ferry yesterday and you have no security checks there at all. Don't even check your passports these days, and you could probably kill just as many sinking a ferry as you can blowing up a plane.

Alternatively, steal a rubbish lorry and drive onto a level crossing just before a high-speed train whizzes through. Plenty of opportunities for the ingenious terrorist if they really want to kill loads.

joe-90 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
and the tendency for baggage handlers to rifle through them,

As you know, a disproportionately large number of baggage handlers are immigrants.

Please abstain from airing your racist views on a public forum.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back