Flymo Quicksilver 46 SD running badly

Sponsored Links
The only adjustment is the gap between the igniter and the flywheel, courtesy of an elongated slot that the screws pass through - I very much doubt if a gap too large has any effect on the timing, but it will affect the strength of the spark.
John :)

During reassembly, deadman tied to handles, I would drop the fw on the crankshaft to the bottom of taper with the keyways in line.then push the key in and with blade locked rock Fw side to side to establish any slop.If there is, when the nut is tightened it could drag the fw around to an advance position .Mad but ive had that a couple if times. on B&S...When I started messing with machinery in the late 50's it was common on villiers engines with no key unless you put a tube over the crank and tapped ut to seat the fw onto the taper to keep it from turning.

Villiers 6E and 9E, including the original Allen scythe two stroke engine.....that had a self extracting flywheel where a flanged nut backed up to a circlip. It had timing marks though!
Maybe we should start an old timers engine forum :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Im sure theres one somewhere that would have us :ROFLMAO:
What I was getting at was if there were play in the op keyway then with blade locked the fw should be turned anti clock to take up the slack, tapped down onto the taper, then the nut tightened while holding fw against the direction of nut tightening which should give the least advanced timing.....makes sense in my head anyway:LOL:

Believe it or not, there are such things as offset flywheel keys - indeed Briggs do one.
I’ve no experience of them though.

Believe it or not, there are such things as offset flywheel keys - indeed Briggs do one.
I’ve no experience of them though.
Funny you should say that, I'd not heard of an offset key but thinking about op problem today I'd worked out in my head how to make such a thing as a way of altering the timing .

Last edited:
Is it best to use a feeler gauge to set coil gap ? what would should the gap be?

All back together, Found one of the coil contacts was black with grease, de-greased that.

After 12 starts there was a kick back twice nowhere near like before,
I found if I pull the starter cord a few inches out them pull all the way it seems to stop the kick back.

Supersized how smooth it runs for a neglected old mower.

Every petrol engine needs a spark just before top dead centre- TDC. - of the piston stroke. If the engine isn't spun over quickly enough it can tend to fire backwards for one stroke so it's maybe the technique that you are now mastering. Are you happy enough with the machine now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back