Flymo Quicksilver 46 SD running badly

Managed to remove flywheel please see attached photo of key, it has the B/S sign so it looks like genuine one. no marks to show it's shared or distorted Flywheel looks OK where key fits as well.
Would you say this is the correct length having not see one before ?
No picture

Sponsored Links
No picture
B&S Key.JPG
B&S Key.JPG

Missed the most important bit.

Sponsored Links
Wasting your money with a new one unless its dented on the side not visible

Just checked all sides and no dents, nice and smooth,
What make the timing to be out, see pictures

And from web link.
If the operator was pulling the recoil starter, the starter rope would be pulled back sharply, along with the operator's arm. This is a common and painful occurrence, and a sure sign of a sheared flywheel key.

Attachments

• Timing Mark.JPG
    Timing Mark.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 59
  • TimingMark 2.JPG
    TimingMark 2.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 60
Although the flywheel key appears to be ok, it should have a curved radius that slots into the crankshaft key housing.
Please give us a picture of the key from both elevations and the crankshaft slot too.
John :)

Although the flywheel key appears to be ok, it should have a curved radius that slots into the crankshaft key housing.
Please give us a picture of the key from both elevations and the crankshaft slot too.

Hi John please see pics, hope there not to many but I wanted to cover all.
John

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Flywheel 1.JPG
    Flywheel 1.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Flywheel 2.JPG
    Flywheel 2.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Flywheel 3.JPG
    Flywheel 3.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 54
  • Flywheel.JPG
    Flywheel.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 57
Excellent pictures - many thanks!
I can see no damage whatsoever to the key or the flywheel key slot so it looks like a dead end there :(
Time for a careful reassembly!
I'm really struggling to identify a problem with the kick back now, as the timing is completely fixed courtesy of the magnets in the flywheel, the keying of flywheel to crankshaft and the igniter (or coil) unit.
I assume the igniter is the original?
When you reassemble, the coil must be in very close proximity to the flywheel as it spins...the gap should be in the region of two or three sheets of thin paper.

Excellent pictures - many thanks!
I can see no damage whatsoever to the key or the flywheel key slot so it looks like a dead end there :(
Time for a careful reassembly!
I'm really struggling to identify a problem with the kick back now, as the timing is completely fixed courtesy of the magnets in the flywheel, the keying of flywheel to crankshaft and the igniter (or coil) unit.
I assume the igniter is the original?
When you reassemble, the coil must be in very close proximity to the flywheel as it spins...the gap should be in the region of two or three sheets of thin paper.
When you COIL is this the brake that disengages engine ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back