Flymo Quicksilver 46 SD running badly

Just when I thought all was ok with this mower.

When I pull the starter the cord it violently pulls back, a few careful pulls and it starts slight puff of black smoke, then runs perfectly, 40 minutes cutting lawn the engine sounds great.

Stumped what to do next,

Sponsored Links
An engine kicking back is usually due to the ignition timing being too advanced. However, the timing on your engine is fixed so we have to ignore that. However a flywheel key which is slightly sheared is a possible but unlikely cause.
My technique is to push the machine away as I pull the starter briskly so I can't offer any real explanation for your symptom apart from varying your starting technique ( not trying to sound patronising here!)
John :)

An engine kicking back is usually due to the ignition timing being too advanced. However, the timing on your engine is fixed so we have to ignore that. However a flywheel key which is slightly sheared is a possible but unlikely cause.
My technique is to push the machine away as I pull the starter briskly so I can't offer any real explanation for your symptom apart from varying your starting technique ( not trying to sound patronising here!)
Thanks John,
Will take off cover and have a look at the flywheel key and take picture if necessary.

As it runs so smooth when it gets going I didn't think it was timing.
Kick back so bad my wife would not be able to start it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John,
Will take off cover and have a look at the flywheel key and take picture if necessary.

As it runs so smooth when it gets going I didn't think it was timing.
Kick back so bad my wife would not be able to start it.

Please see picture of Flywheel cover, What size nut is this and procedure to remove ??

Attachments

• Flywheel cover.JPG
    Flywheel cover.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 63
Please see picture of Flywheel cover, What size nut is this and procedure to remove ??
Put a lump of wood underneath to stop the blade turning.
Use a socket bar and I think its a 15/16" socket , tap it smartly with a hammer anti clock looking from above...unless you have an impact wrench? Oh, take the plug lead off first.

To release the flywheel taper, you should find some clearance when you pull the flywheel up a little.....put some wooden wedges under the flywheel and tap the crankshaft end (nut on but loose) nice and sharply. The flywheel will pop clear.

To release the flywheel taper, you should find some clearance when you pull the flywheel up a little.....put some wooden wedges under the flywheel and tap the crankshaft end (nut on but loose) nice and sharply. The flywheel will pop clear.

Hi John
Is this to remove the Flywheel cover ?
As I was going to give the flywheel a visual look first, don't know if this is a waste of time to put right my problem.
John

This is to remove the flywheel itself, once the cooling cowl has been removed, nicely visible from your last photo. There's nothing below the flywheel, you just need to inspect the key that keeps it on the crankshaft in one specific place.

Thanks for the link. Helped noend, I have attached timing marks looks like flywheel key is the culprit.
I put on a new blade the guy gave with the machine to check if shaft is bent that was a job can't be sure.

Now to try and remove flywheel cover any tips.

I think previous owner was a bit of a twit not looking after this mower.

This a has been a leaning lesson for me.

Thanks to you and Burnerman.

Attachments

• Timing Mark.JPG
    Timing Mark.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 64
  • TimingMark 2.JPG
    TimingMark 2.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 66
This flywheel has no timing marks as the key locks the flywheel onto the crankshaft....it's only engines with no key (early Villiers) that were built that way.
See if you can shift the flywheel, details in my earlier post?

This flywheel has no timing marks as the key locks the flywheel onto the crankshaft....it's only engines with no key (early Villiers) that were built that way.
See if you can shift the flywheel, details in my earlier post?

Managed to remove flywheel please see attached photo of key, it has the B/S sign so it looks like genuine one. no marks to show it's shared or distorted Flywheel looks OK where key fits as well.
Would you say this is the correct length having not see one before ?

But now I have it out will pop to local dealer Tuesday and buy a new as it wont cost much.

Thanks John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back