Food Shop

This still happens.

The best socks I have come across for price comfort and fit ate from Primart.

Designer gear is generally quality
Agree with this, I've got some Italian made Paul & Shark polo shirts and jumpers bought twenty years ago and they're still in top condition.

Sponsored Links
Some years ago we had a Burberry factory up near us in Treorchy and the factory shop sold off the stuff rejected by quality control for absolute peanuts. You couldn't find any obvious faults in the clothes but because they were supplying high end shops all over the world they were fussy, like a stitch slightly out of line and the garment was rejected. We'd get polo shirts for a tenner, and thankfully most of the gear didn't have that 'famous' Burberry check on it.

Is Primart an expensive shop? I don't know, I don't take much interest in such things, and I have never ventured in one.

Good for some things - real leather belts, for one - but ime lucky to get half-a-dozen washes out of a t shirt before it's good only for DIY or gardening.

Sponsored Links
On the other hand, my regular size is XL but if I buy a motorcycle jacket or trousers meant for a tiny Japanese person, I need at least a XXXXL. Seriously.

I bought an ashworth golf shirt. An American brand iirc.

Swimming and weights mean I wear L or XL normally, in uk-sized tops.

Ashworth? Medium.

Plus, while it fitted across the shoulders and chest, it went down past mid-thigh.....

Matron :oops: :ROFLMAO:

The only brand name foods I really buy are Heinz ketchup and KitKats. I've tried lots of other ketchups, but they are either very flavoured or they are full of thickener. Anyway, a small glass bottle lasts me four months in the fridge. I only buy KitKats occasionally and haven't really looked for alternatives. Are others any good? Aldi make the best chocolate chip cookies, I think, so cheap and so many chips, and they just taste really nice. Also, the best Snickers rip off.

Last edited:
I tend to keep my clothes for a long time.

Likewise my thick winter coat, was bought 30 years ago.

I generally only buy my shoes from Jones or Dune but my most comfortable pair of shoes are some deck shoes from Clarks as they came in decent width fittings.

I have wide feet, taking a 8 in a wide fitting - otherwise, in a standard width I take a 9. Clarks do seem to offer both wide and extra wide fittings, in a comfortable shoe.

Are others any good? Aldi make the best chocolate chip cookies, I think, so cheap and so many chips, and they just taste really nice. Also, the best Snickers rip off.

I find many of the offerings of both Lidl and Aldi are exactly the same, the only difference the name on the pack, so from the same factory. I like the ginger nuts, and they are exactly the same from either, apart from the name on the pack.

I find many of the offerings of both Lidl and Aldi are exactly the same, the only difference the name on the pack, so from the same factory.

I've noticed that as well. I rarely go to Lidl, as I'm closer to Aldi, so I haven't tried their choc chip cookies. I'm sure the Aldi ones taste exactly like Maryland, which are three times the price, so maybe they are made by the same company. Speaking of which, and recalling what @Mottie said, at Sainsburys they are £1.50, but only 75p if you have a Nectar card. I don't have a Nectar card and I'm not going to buy anything where the Nectar price is cheaper. Doesn't this just expose which foods are a massive rip off? I think it might backfire on Sainsburys.

Branded goods in Supermarkets have risen in price as we all realise , however no one seems to have noticed Unbranded goods price increases are far higher than Branded Goods , Supermarkets realise people are buying Unbranded goods to cut costs so put a higher price on those goods despite still being cheaper than Branded goods

Speaking of which, and recalling what @Mottie said, at Sainsburys they are £1.50, but only 75p if you have a Nectar card. I don't have a Nectar card and I'm not going to buy anything where the Nectar price is cheaper. Doesn't this just expose which foods are a massive rip off? I think it might backfire on Sainsburys.
Same as tesco club card prices.

All about loyalty to keep you going back to the store(s) you have cards for.

Agree with the point that it exposes the big rip offs. Which also happens when any special offers stop.

Shopping is becoming a major exercise into knowing what to buy and when.

Much prefer the simpler pricing structures at aldi (and lidl, but I don't use them due to location), of a clear price and decent products. Brand labels are less important now than 10 or 20 years ago. Much better choice and quality of non major brand items now.

The whole issue of brand name pricing seems to be getting more ridiculous and confusing. It feels like they're taking the p!ss in these straitened times. Goodfellas thin frozen pizzas are now £3 everywhere, which is insane enough. But at Asda, if you buy 4, it only costs £5.

Sponsored Links
Back