Food Price Rises

Check out this nonsense from the BBC

The claim is that the cost of "branded" food is soaring. Now apart from some tweaking, a bottle of Heinz red sauce and tomato soup has the same ingredients as a bottle of Aldi red sauce and Aldi soup - ie tomatoes. So the cost increase can't be in the ingredients, but in the boardroom.

Sponsored Links
Check out this nonsense from the BBC

The claim is that the cost of "branded" food is soaring. Now apart from some tweaking, a bottle of Heinz red sauce and tomato soup has the same ingredients as a bottle of Aldi red sauce and Aldi soup - ie tomatoes. So the cost increase can't be in the ingredients, but in the boardroom.
yep and many of them are made in the same factories on the same lines

I noticed that everyday basic/own brand stuff sells out first. Today there were no Sainsburys own brand free range eggs in stock. Usually £2.35 for a dozen large ones.
Popped up Lidl to get my coffee pods and smoked haddock and noticed that they had stacks and stacks of eggs. British eggs. I bought a dozen large ones for £2.39 so not much of an increase on Sainsburys ones when they have them. Maybe the egg shortage is over?

Sponsored Links
I'll certainly be looking to get some more, to pop in the freezer - it's a matter of grabbing it when I see it, they don't have it in that often, or perhaps they only get it in on certain days.

I think it's maybe a Thursday thing, in time for the 'fish on Friday'. I decided to take a trip there, and their fresh fish section was crammed with fish of all varieties, including no less than 6x smoked haddock packs, so I grabbed a couple - one to go straight in the freezer, the other for consumption today.

I think it's maybe a Thursday thing, in time for the 'fish on Friday'.
Talking of 'Fish Friday', if you have a 'my Waitrose' card you get 20% off of fresh fish on a Friday. You also get 20% off of all meat on the meat counter on 'Sizzling Saturday'. Last Saturday, I bought a cut of Topside from the meat counter for our Sunday roast. Cost less than £9 and it did four decent size portions with enough for sandwiches for lunch on Monday. It was the best bit of topside I’d had for ages.

88D78ABA-B864-44D3-ACBB-06780B6D5151.jpeg

Talking of 'Fish Friday', if you have a 'my Waitrose' card you get 20% off of fresh fish on a Friday. You also get 20% off of all meat on the meat counter on 'Sizzling Saturday'. Last Saturday, I bought a cut of Topside from the meat counter for our Sunday roast. Cost less than £9 and it did four decent size portions with enough for sandwiches for lunch on Monday. It was the best bit of topside I’d had for ages.

Now you have mentioned it - one of the packs of SH i bought from Lidl a while ago, was around half price. I think that was on a Friday, but still with a couple of days before BBE. Obviously, if no one has bought it by Friday, no one will at the full price, and likely the same for meat - Much of it claims to be able to be satisfactorily frozen. Me, I don't care what I eat, which day.

Good single malt whisky doesn't have seemed to have gone up, is wee kranky missing a trick to get back at us englishers.
Due to the snp and minimum pricing, the cheapest place to buy scottish whisky, is england!!

Just back from local Sainsburys a bottle of 12 yr old single malt £20 down from £35 bargain so bought 2

Following a tip from my butcher we detoured into Farmfoods to pick up some frozen trout. A little research into the source & they from Turkey where all trout farms are raceways.

12mins in the air fryer, a little lemon butter sauce & they superb.

There will be some countries that thought that the UK leaving might break the EU up

Not just countries, but the media too. Daily Express regularly has had preposterous headlines announcing the end or collapse of The EU for years. Complete garbage, because The EU is still going and expanding. It's us that's in real trouble, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

This garbage is the sort of small minded, fabricated pap that Brexit was built on. Tories got what they wanted, no one else will.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back