Food Price Rises

Sponsored Links
I remember as a kid being served lamb for dinner, i didnt like the taste and shoved it away, my mum said, a little lamb sacrificed its life so that you can eat, so don't be so disrespectful.
I haven't eaten lamb ever since

"Well hello Clarice . . . . "

Sponsored Links
Two things I specifically go to Lidl for: Their own brand (I think) Nespresso capsules and their smoked haddock - it’s the best I’ve tasted. I have to be careful not to come away with a set of water ski's and a ten man tent though!

I have not been impressed with the usual offerings of smoked haddock, be they from supermarkets, or proper fish mongers[1], but on Saturday (based on your recommendation) and in Lidl - I spotted some in their chiller cabinet, with some skin on, and popped in the freezer as soon as I got back home. It will be the first time ever I have cooked it and planning to simmer in milk. I'm adding a poached egg (again, a first for me), and some bubble & squeak.

Once cool, the dog will demolish the milk - waste not, want not ;)

[1] Maybe wrong but - The usual offerings seem to be dyed and flavoured, rather than properly smoked these days.

;)

[1] Maybe wrong but - The usual offerings seem to be dyed and flavoured, rather than properly smoked these days.
At that price you can guarantee it & probably reared in a fish farm sited just off the sewerage outlet.

On the basis that owning your own smoker is beyond most of us, look up dry cure instead. My 'Gravlax' salmon is superb & even though you seem to lose half the fish it is still much cheaper than the real deal.

but on Saturday (based on your recommendation) and in Lidl - I spotted some in their chiller cabinet, with some skin on,

Just finished it, and....

It was a smaller portion than i expected, but unlike some - yellow all the way through, taste was not bad at all. Certainly better than some I have had over recent years.

A couple of old large clay pots and a round grill plate makes a perfect smoker!
Not really practical in a 3rd floor bedsit in Sarf Lahndan tho' is it????

Which is the sort of abode that more than 1 of our current members

Care to explain why?

Labour and the Conservatives are effectively the same. There has been a massive drop in the GDP and of that GDP government spending is the highest it's ever been in peacetime, under the Conservative Party. Such debt and destruction is usually the work of communists, so who needs the Labour Party when the tories have been doing all the money- wasting quite nicely?

1] Maybe wrong but - The usual offerings seem to be dyed and flavoured, rather than properly smoked these days.
Liquid smoke. I saw a TV chef explain it once. Matt Tebbut or Jamie Oliver I think. Might have even been Hugh Fearnly-Wittingstall. They basically smoked some wood chippings and when the smoke condensed, they were left with what they called liquid smoke. Anyway, the Lidl Smoked Haddock is the smokiest haddock I’ve tasted. Of course, poach them in milk and poach a couple of eggs too. If you’re feeling indulgent, chuck some asparagus spears in the water that you are poaching your eggs in.

chuck some asparagus spears in the water that you are poaching your eggs in.

I once tried asparagus, around 20 years ago and wasn't impressed, mined yew, I never used to rate sprouts and quite like them now - Maybe try them next time.

Sponsored Links
Back