Rising used car prices.

I used WBAC for my old van in Oct last year, the price went up and down over a period of a couple of months by about 20%...all to do with the algorithms.

Judging by all of the stockpile of used cars that BAC and others can't sell at the moment, I'd be surprised if demand is outstripping supply.

Sponsored Links
And yes, with two experience of WBAC in the past, expect to get about 2/3rds of the price they initially quote you once they've looked at every little scratch and dink.

I was hoping to post this in the old 'Rising car prices' thread but I see it’s locked due to some off-topic bitching that went on so starting another thread.

Has anyone seen how used car prices are rocketing? A car we bought off of Mrs Motties sister in February has risen considerably. She just said to give her the WBAC valuation as she CBA with selling it private or haggling for a p/x. Since selling it to us, there’s a couple of thousand miles been put on the clock but the WBAC valuation has risen by £3,665!

Anyone else noticed the rising cost of used cars?
Now a £4,365 difference. Ridiculous!

Sponsored Links
Why buy a new petrol car when they're on the way out? Better to buy an old one and then wait a bit until EVs are cheaper.

The new market is at the lowest it has been this century but second hand is booming.

I've decided to lease a new petrol X-trail for 4 years, after which I will consider an EV.
Hopefully by then there will be a reasonably priced family EV available which can travel at least 200 miles (fully laden, in the winter) on a single charge.

i have been looking for a used car for my daughter and all the dealers are having issues getting stock , some UK chains are down 60% on stock , and not expected to change anytime soon, which is because new cars are not available and so the P/e circle has not be populated with old cars.
Most of the dealers I talked to are saying things like never seen this is 20/30 years in the business.

I have seen cars come on to autotrader , with no images and been reserved in a couple of days - and the 70+ cars i looked at 2 weeks ago are all now sold.

the local used car lot , where we purchased a few years ago , the used cars on the lot are well low, nothing like the volume, all parked with bigger gaps and some sideways to make the lot look full.

Result , price increases as the demand goes up

Hopefully by then there will be a reasonably priced family EV available which can travel at least 200 miles ……… on a single charge.

I'd like to do at least one more decent driving holiday - France and Italy probably and maybe a drive out to the Villa in Spain but at 63 years old, thats something I'm probably not going to be able to ever do in an electric vehicle in my driving lifetime.

I'd like to do at least one more decent driving holiday - France and Italy probably and maybe a drive out to the Villa in Spain but at 63 years old, thats something I'm probably not going to be able to ever do in an electric vehicle in my driving lifetime.
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2020/07/range-anxiety-an-ev-road-trip-around-europe/

https://www.electricfelix.com/blog/planning-a-mercedes-eqc-roadtrip-to-madrid

Ones a Model S, the other a Merc EQC, both of which are expensive cars. But there are plenty of only fairly expensive cars that can do similar range. And that's now.

New petrol car today will be run into the ground by the time they actually get us all leccy/hydrogen.
Yes, but the future is not bright for Petrol.

Fear of being stuck with an expensive out of date lump of metal is enough to put some people off, and that's all that's needed to affect the market. The Osborne effect is starting to really kick in and it's going to be brutal in the next 2-5 years for petrol car sales.

i would like to see the true Carbon Footprint, manufacturer , Power to charge ? Disposal of Batteries , life of batteries etc etc

And when everyone’s got one I’d like to see the waiting time for a charge up.
Chinese manufacturer GAC says next month, customers will be able to buy an Aion 6C battery electric SUV that can charge a depleted battery to 80% capacity in a lightning fast 8 minutes. The company claims the car will have a range of 1000 kilometers NEDC, the wildly optimistic standard used in China. EPA range would probably be a little more than half of that but still — 500+ miles of range and an 8 minute charging time
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/08/2...s-8-minute-charge-times-1000-kilometer-range/

That's directly comparable with Petrol fueling.

Sponsored Links
Back