Food Price Rises

Two things I specifically go to Lidl for: Their own brand (I think) Nespresso capsules and their smoked haddock - it’s the best I’ve tasted. I have to be careful not to come away with a set of water ski's and a ten man tent though!

Sponsored Links
heir smoked haddock
Us too and unsmoked and one of the best frozen fish - basa. ;) You'd need to catch fresh cod direct to realise why. I have. Their white fish isn't too bad either.

There's one near us and it used to be great, until they opened membership up to every man and his dog.

If you work, most of the good stuff has been scavenged by the time you get there.
yeah membership has certainly increased over the years , i have had a card for about 15 years can be a bit hit and miss but luckily enough i can go at anytime good bargains on crates of beer at present if you drink at home . Quite funny watching a certain clientele who scrutinise their receipts for a couple of pennies in discrepancies then complain so the girls make them get everything out their trollies and check every single price which usually reults in them paying a bit more

Two things I specifically go to Lidl for: Their own brand (I think) Nespresso capsules and their smoked haddock - it’s the best I’ve tasted. I have to be careful not to come away with a set of water ski's and a log splitter though!

:)

I used to have the chore of fetching the smoked haddock from a fish monger, for my father, walking the two miles there and back. If I was lucky, I would get a taste of it and it was WONDERFUL.

I've many times bought it since, but been disappointed with the taste. I seem to remember when I would collect it for him, the yellow colour would permeate deeper into the flesh it does with the modern smoked haddock. I've looked at buying the smoked haddock a few times in Lidl, but decided not to. I'll give it a go next time.

My last partner, who confessed to be learning to cook, decided to try home made fish and chips, disappointed with the poor quality of the local chippies offerings - probably frozen haddock. She would buy fresh haddock from the local Tesco, mix batter from recipe. Her first few attempts were passable, but after several goes she got it fine tuned and produced some of the best F&C's I have tasted anywhere.

Local does F&C for around £4 last time I was in there, sometime last year, a much more distant one does better ones for around £10. I remember when F&C were a poverty cheap meal at 1/6d, now they are a luxury meal.

Sponsored Links
yeah membership has certainly increased over the years , i have had a card for about 15 years can be a bit hit and miss but luckily enough i can go at anytime good bargains on crates of beer at present if you drink at home . Quite funny watching a certain clientele who scrutinise their receipts for a couple of pennies in discrepancies then complain so the girls make them get everything out their trollies and check every single price which usually reults in them paying a bit more

Yes I've seen that happen! Was quite amusing when you're not in a rush.

I think the wife joined when it first opened here so only around three years ago. She's on maternity at the moment so has been going in the day, which is still hit and miss but better than when I've nipped in after work for something. I came out with a 2.5kg tin of marrowfat peas and that was it.

Don't think of it as rising prices, rather a falling pound. Five hundred billion extra pounds were printed to "pay" for the covid scam and all those extra pounds are now in circulation with no accompanying increase in the quantity of goods available. It's called inflation.
The pound started falling after June 2016, with an accompanying problem in the supply chain...

Who would have thought that might happen? :rolleyes:

The money printing just added to the current crisis...

Large amounts of the brown stuff is very soon going to hit the fan!

I noticed that everyday basic/own brand stuff sells out first. Today there were no Sainsburys own brand free range eggs in stock. Usually £2.35 for a dozen large ones. Plenty of organic/golden yoke/Burford Browns/ Cotswold Legspar types left though. I bought 2 x 6 packs of 'Happy eggs'. Cost me £4.
And there you were not so long ago claiming there were no shortages and you wanted photographic proof of empty shelves...

And btw there are no free range eggs currently available in the UK despite the packaging labels...

The supermarkets should have a notice stating this is the case due to bird flu restrictions!

And you may want to reconsider your purchase of 'happy eggs'

Not so happy

I remember a pack of 1kg Macaroni in Sains was £1.0 last year before Christmas.

Just one year, it is £1.65 today, really crazy.

And there you were not so long ago claiming there were no shortages and you wanted photographic proof of empty shelves...
I said there were no shortages observed in my local Sainsburys DUE TO BREXIT. Do you think the shortage of free range BRITISH eggs is down to Brexit? For all I know, the shelves could be stocked right now.

Come on then, here’s your chance to shine, tell us all what eggs you, your 'wife' and your 'sons' eat.

For all I know
You know nothing...lol
Come on then, here’s your chance to shine, tell us all what eggs you, your 'wife' and your 'sons' eat.
I have no idea what our kids prefer...

But why do you want to know, creepy stalker?

As for us we have recently started up our own chicken coop again, but due to restrictions they can't be classed as 'free range' at the moment.

But at least they don't live in the sh*t conditions that your so called 'happy eggs' are produced in!

And don't you understand that UK animal feed shortages come from the supply chain issue, not only from the Ukraine but also from the UK not being in the single market?

Why do you insist on posting things that merely humiliate yourself?
:LOL:

It's all a bit silly really - shops and supermarkets do from time to time run out of stock, even of the basics. It doesn't necessarily follow that there are shortages, just an hickup in the supply chain, even a mechanical breakdown can cause it. I've twice had my local Lidl not have any blue milk on offer, once they hadn't realised and brought some out, the second time they had actually run out - I simply went next door to Tesco, though could have gone to Home Bargains a similar distance.

But at least they don't live in the sh*t conditions that your so called 'happy eggs' are produced in!
Actually, I was mistaken! Dunno why I had happy eggs in my mind but I’ve just looked and they are ‘Respectful' eggs. I just knew it was some stupidly named kind of caring-welfare-to-chickens-type of company. Never even noticed these before. Anyway, who cares? Only you so that doesn’t count in my book.

9442B8AD-7AF3-4069-9E41-D65DEB9BF30A.jpeg

What eggs and chicken did you eat before you conveniently 'started your coop' again? Don’t tell, let me guess - hand reared cuddled to death hens?

The already far more expensive food prices in the US have increased by the largest annual increase since 1979 i must have missed the headlines of them coming out of the EU . Also with increasing shortages only a few months ago they had to get emergency shipments in just to feed infants

Sponsored Links
Back