For the parents amongst you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At what age did you transfer your kids from a cot to a childrens bed?

my son is 21 months old, but advanced in terms of development according to the health visitor, so much so that he can now almost climb out of the cot, problem is, its a long way down!

we want to put him in a bed, but our friends are saying its too early for a 21 month old to be in a bed and he will be up all night walking around..now that is a worry because we both sleep deeply! and unless he shouts or bangs we wouldnt know he was awake and walking around.

Sponsored Links
Just a suggestion....Fit up the room with a pir sensor alarm so that if he gets up an alarm sounds in your room.

Hi

We bought a cot that converted into a cot bed.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70116002

Once our daughter was about 9 months old she could pull herself up to a standing position, so we lowered it to the bed level, but left the side on.

When our daughter was about 1 years old we took off the removable side as well, more because my wife was struggling to lower her over the side when she was asleep.

My daughter is still in the cot bed, she is two and a half now.

She can just about climb on to a regular bed, and gets down easily, but until she gets too long for the cot bed we won't move her, as it's a long way down if she rolls out of a normal bed.

Cheers

G

as soon as they start trying to climb the bars of the cot.
falling from a bed is nearer to the floor than falling from the top of the cot.

Sponsored Links
and here i was thinking general discussion was for anything not related to DIY!

MisterG, our son can already get on and off a normal bed no problem,infact he can do a run up and jump onto a bed! and he can get down ok as well! this is the dilemma! he is so young but so advanced.

I like the PIR alarm idea :D

we had a cot bed but sold it after we noticed he was trying to run in the night when its dark, and ended up constantly banging his head on the sides or getting his legs stuck between the bars.

Put him in the bed but use one of those electric cat collars with the perimeter wire around the bed. Then if he gets down he'll get a little jolt and never do it again!

This may also help with toilet training :D

PLEASE NOTE IF ANYONE FROM CHILDRENS SERVICES IS READING THIS IS A JOKE AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LITERALLY :D :D

Put him in the bed but use one of those electric cat collars with the perimeter wire around the bed. Then if he gets down he'll get a little jolt and never do it again!

This may also help with toilet training :D

PLEASE NOTE IF ANYONE FROM CHILDRENS SERVICES IS READING THIS IS A JOKE AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LITERALLY :D :D

This could be a dragons den idea. NOT for children obviously.

The steveBamford product range of 'Adult sleepwalking cures'.
It could work.
The sleepwalking affected wife, would get out of bed and not even make it to bedroom door, before being very painfully zapped.
Only in the interest of their own safety of course.
Cured within a week. GENIUS.

Our son moved into a bed with a 'cot-side' on it when he was about 2 1/2 and into a childrens bed with low sides (similar to the one MisterG suggests) when he was three. Our daughter is 27months and is still in a cot.

My little girl moved out of a cot when she was about 9 months to a year (not to sure) and she went into a childs bed, but she did not like that as there wasnt enough room for her to roll over if she wanted to.

She is 3 on the 16th of this month and is sleeping in a full adults bed now and loves it, and to help with the whole wakeing up dilema, we simply put a night light in a plug socket next to her bed, and a brighter one in the hallway out side our bedroom.

This helps her when she wakes up she can follow the lights to us then on of us help he back into bed if she requires us to do so. But luckliy for us the night light in her room gives her enough light to see where she is and most of the time she gets herself to sleep.

Hope this can help in some way

Go for a low-level bed that can be adjusted at a later date with taller legs.

Whichever way you decide to go don't forget to have a safety gate at the top of any stairs or across the childs bedroom doorway.
Falling off a bed is nothing compared to falling down a flight of stairs.

For those of you who live in a bungalow, forget the last piece of advice. :LOL:

Have you asked your health visitor? surely they're far better qualified to answer than we are?

Plus i'm surprised that both of you sleep so heavy all through the night that you cant wake... we had a monitor to listen in on our three, and the sound of them grunting in their sleep was enough to keep us in half sleep.

What about putting the cot/bed in your room and shutting the door? If your young 'un gets out, they're bound to wake you up?

Sponsored Links
Back