Ford fusion diesel fuel leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My sister's Ford fusion 2 2003 1.4 diesel, developed a fuel leak and had to be towed to a garage, where they said they had clipped back the pipe??? Expensive little job! Two days later the same has happened.

When it happened, I opened the bonnet, and pumped the rubber fuel pump, and the fuel leaked out under the car, but I couldn't see where it came from. When the mechanic tried, it started and fuel leaked again.

Can anyone tell me why this happened, and wasn't permanently repaired by the garage?

(If you can send me a link to the fuels system around this point it would be helpful)

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Are these not the questions you should be asking the garage?

Andy

Thanks for your quick reply Andy.

I live 20 miles from the garage that did the repair, and had no personal contact with them. My sister and car are 150 miles away. I am only researching for her.

Can you answer the questions please?

Cheers, Camerart

Oh dear...here's a little investigation for you to do.
Can you take the acoustic cover off from the top of the engine, and look down into the injector wells?
If you find that one of the injector wells is full of fuel, it fills up, overflows and runs down the back of the engine.
The first cure is to remove the offending injector, replace the thick copper washer at its base, reassemble and cross fingers!
Post back for more merriment..... :eek:
John :)

Sponsored Links
Another possibility is that the return pipe to the tank is leaking somewhere, if the leak is directly under the engine it would probably as Burnerman says but if its further back check the return pipe.

Peter

We'll see if we get a post back Peter......in fact these engines have an inherent fault with the seal at the bottom of the injector, and if a new copper washer doesn't sort it, then its head off time for a wee bit of spot facing with a milling cutter :eek:
Ford know about it, but deny it, of course!
I'm not saying that this is the fault with this car, naturally, but the reply should be interesting.

You know best John, I have to assume that they are all like the Hdi, only common rail engine I know anything about :confused: :( :oops:

Peter

If the injectors were screwed in, rather than clamped, I don't think there would be a problem here.....but when they do leak, nothing is apparent until the injector well fills up with diesel, and then it overflows.
They are a swine to get to, as well.....EGR gear in the way.
Ford do a kit with new leak off pipes and injector sleeves which aren't needed - but I have been beat with two of these engines now......which isn't a good feeling :confused:

I have just been looking at your excellent description of repairing the oil feed on a Stihl MS170. I have managed to get it apart and there is a sort of spring arrangement behind the clutch assembly that seems to be floating loose, should it be fixed to something? Sorry for the deviation :oops:

Peter

Hi Peter...slightly different topic :p
Behind the clutch drum, there's a worm drive for the oil pump.....the worm is driven by your spring arrangement that hooks into a slot on the clutch drum itself.
All this does is to feed oil when the chain is actually revolving - not all of the time.
Is that what you mean?
Typically, my Stihl manual is on (permanent) loan :eek:

Yes I found the worm drive John and assumed it was driven all the time, could it be something adrift with this spring arrangement that its not being driven at all? I just ordered a new pump for it thinking it was that.

Peter

Thanks for all your replies.

When the injector seal goes doesn't this make a sound, I think it's called chuffing? I couldn't hear any noise.

The garage said the problem was a pipe, which they clipped back together, assuming this is correct, what would make it unclip and leak again? Can an injector leak back into the fuel pipe and build up pressure?

Cheers, Camerart.

Shouldn't cost to much then. If the seal between the injector and the head goes it allows combustion gas to escape not fuel, that would cause a chuffing noise and you would likely be able to smell it.

There is a dedicated leak back system that returns unburnt fuel to the tank, this could have been the pipe that they repaired, its quite capable of handling any fuel return from the injectors unless it gets blocked, it very rare to have problems with it though.

Peter

Shouldn't cost to much then. If the seal between the injector and the head goes it allows combustion gas to escape not fuel, that would cause a chuffing noise and you would likely be able to smell it.

There is a dedicated leak back system that returns unburnt fuel to the tank, this could have been the pipe that they repaired, its quite capable of handling any fuel return from the injectors unless it gets blocked, it very rare to have problems with it though.

Peter

Hi Peter,

The engine stopped when this happened, so would a leak in the return pipe cause this. I guessed it would leak between the pumps and the injectors.

Cheers, Camerart.

Yes I found the worm drive John and assumed it was driven all the time, could it be something adrift with this spring arrangement that its not being driven at all? I just ordered a new pump for it thinking it was that.

Peter

Once again just working from memory Peter, but the spring that connects into the slot on the outer drum is wound around a white worm drive that spins the pinion of the oil pump - only when the clutch is working though.
One trick of the trade is to take the chain bar off and start up.....if the oil delivery hole is just blowing bubbles then its the pump feed thats blocked, and another tip is to run an oil/paraffin mix in the chain oil tank just to see if that frees things up.

Sponsored Links
Back