Foreign workers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading through this forum today and can see that immigration is a hot topic here. I just started this thread so I could explain to Joe my feelings on the situation because our previous discussion was taking a different thread off track.

Joe, I personally don't believe the country is full up and overflowing already. If Britain is in trouble economically, it's down to our useless government wasting money and creating red tape for businesses. Can you blame companies using foreign haulage, for example? Fuel is so highly taxed here, so if you can get the same service abroad for cheaper, I don't blame any company for using it. Labour just continues to tax us all into submission here. I feel that it's just too easy to blame immigrants for the problems here when there are far more serious issues at hand. And lets face it, we aren't a 3rd world country by any means and never will be. Perhaps our economy would be healthier if the government hadn't spent billions on an illegal war in Iraq.

Sponsored Links
In the past this topic has been chopped by the Mods. So I'm asking permission from the Mods to debate it.

Can we? Without you deleting it?

joe

MOD 2
as long as you keep it civil

1. Immigration.
2. Population density.
3. The Gov's economic record.
4. Fuel duty.
5. Iraq.

Where do you want too start Steve? :eek:

paulbrown said:
1. Immigration.
2. Population density.
4. Fuel duty.
5. Iraq.
1. A good thing.
2. Lower than The Netherlands or Belgium, and about the same as Germany.
3. Nowt to do with immigration , except insofar as they've got unemployment so low that some companies have to recruit abroad as they can't find workers over here.
4. Nowt to do with immigration.
5. Nowt to do with immigration.

Sponsored Links
paulbrown said:

Paul, the only topic I am looking to discuss is immigration. I brought fuel duty, Iraq etc into my post because I believe they are valid reasons as to why this country is in a mess, but it's far easier to blame immigration.

Joe, you say that foreign workers take their earnings abroad, but that Brits spend their money here and keep other Brits in work... The Polish couple who lodged with me paid their taxes, used British public transport, shopped in British shops, ate in British restuarants, drank in British pubs...need I go on? If they then decided to take their savings home with them, that's their decision. I choose to use my savings to enjoy holidays abroad...is that money staying in the country?

paulbrown said:
1. Immigration.
2. Population density.
4. Fuel duty.
5. Iraq.

1. Yes it's high but so is emigration and always has been.
2. Surely there are also plenty of white British who have more than the regulation 2 kids - one on tv the other week wanting a bigger house and lives with wife, girlfriend and about umpteen kids. Let's be like the Chinese and ban anyone from haing more than one child eh???? LOL :rolleyes:
3. Yep I agree as I detest TB and never voted him in - I blame all the people who refused to vote but aren't happy with him.
4. Nothig to do with immigration and has always been high - money grabbing govt.
5. We should never have invaded but then it was UK and America who put Saddam in power in the first place.

At the end of the day, so what if Steve's Polish friends took their savings home with them. My friends parents went to work in Saudi Arabia for an oil sheik and stayed there for about 10 years. They spent very little whilst they were there as they lived in a house on his land. They brought home enough money to buy a six bedroom house in one of the best parts of Cardiff that they live in and 3 more 4 bedroom houses that they rent out.

It's OK for Brits to do it but not for others to come here and do it?????

We've got a lot of Polish people here and also South Africans too - I've never had a problem with any of them and find them all really polite people. They love it if someone British is willing to stop and chat to them. What is the big problem?

The big problem Brightness is that that polish and south african has now replaced me in the construction industry on half the money I was on .Consequentely I have had to make a claim for job seekers allowance ,because my partner earns £112.oop a week I am entilted To nothing.Unfortunetly my out goings are connected to my earnings, which up until two months ago was good money.
So because of the saturation of the building industry with foriegn workers, my chances of a job in said industry is very slim :evil: :cry:

Sorry to hear that Splinter :( . The Polish and South Africans here work on the land and in the veg packing factories - jobs that the locals turn their noses up at. Some of them work in the supermarkets as well but none of them ever have enough staff anyway!

Isn't there some sort of legislation that stops them from working on building sites unless they speak perfect English? Or do they?

I know other countries impose these restrictions against British people, also if a foreign pharmacist comes to work in UK they have to go to one of our Uni's for a year and qualify in UK pharmacy law and stuff before they are allowed to practise :D

Brightness said:
Sorry to hear that Splinter :( . The Polish and South Africans here work on the land and in the veg packing factories - jobs that the locals turn their noses up at. !

Isn't there some sort of legislation that stops them from working on building sites unless they speak perfect English? :?: QUE :LOL:
:D
The road repair gang that did our estate was about half in number Polish...and spoke little English.but they were Grafters........This country needs it`s collective arse kicking .People expect to live on Easy Bloody Street and ponce around like Colonial plantation owners with someone to do the **** jobs...I`m ashamed to be British now . It`s a fool`s paradise ...........every person in the country has several £thousands debt........Not me :LOL: Everything`s been bought and paid for by me+ Mrs. hard work and no smokes drink or frivolous spending .......Just like our Victorian Grandparent`s values ;)

Nige F said:
Brightness said:
Sorry to hear that Splinter :( . The Polish and South Africans here work on the land and in the veg packing factories - jobs that the locals turn their noses up at. !

Isn't there some sort of legislation that stops them from working on building sites unless they speak perfect English? :?: QUE :LOL:
:D
The road repair gang that did our estate was about half in number Polish...and spoke little English.but they were Grafters........This country needs it`s collective a**e kicking .People expect to live on Easy b****y Street and ponce around like Colonial plantation owners with someone to do the s**t jobs...I`m ashamed to be British now . It`s a fool`s paradise ...........every person in the country has several £thousands debt........Not me :LOL: Everything`s been bought and paid for by me+ Mrs. hard work and no smokes drink or frivolous spending .......Just like our Victorian Grandparent`s values ;)

You haven't got wings have you, ;)

It's just about simple economics, it's got nothing to do with where people are from or what colour they are. If they are cheaper they get the work. That's why all the **** jobs are done by foreign workers. They cost nothing don't have a union or a pension fund, can be sacked at will if they get sick or old and and don't go to an IT about it. The firm keeps it's margin up and sells cheap to the great british public. There's a market for cheap labour and they fill it. It started in the 1950's when no one born here wanted to work in low pay and low status jobs in transport and such like so half of Jamica and the carribean emigrated here to do the work

Would you all be prepared to pay more to ensure that only people like Splinter born and bred in the uk did the work

I doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back