Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Put words in people's mouths
the absence of words can be as clear as what is said.

you said 'its nonsense' -referring to this black lives matter campaign.

you havent said 'I support peaceful anti racist protest' -so in that absence it is reasonable to assume you do not.

Sponsored Links
the absence of words can be as clear as what is said.

you said 'its nonsense' -referring to this black lives matter campaign.

you havent said 'I support peaceful anti racist protest' -so in that absence it is reasonable to assume you do not.

No. You cannot infer meaning from words that aren't there. Edited to add - Well, yes you can but you look a prize feckwit for doing so.

For clarity - I DO NOT SUPPORT PEACEFUL ANTI RACIST PROTEST WHILST THE COUNTRY IS PART WAY THROUGH A PANDEMIC AND LOCKED DOWN.

I hope that's explicit enough for you.

No. You cannot infer meaning from words that aren't there. Edited to add - Well, yes you can but you look a prize feckwit for doing so.

For clarity - I DO NOT SUPPORT PEACEFUL ANTI RACIST PROTEST WHILST THE COUNTRY IS PART WAY THROUGH A PANDEMIC AND LOCKED DOWN.

I hope that's explicit enough for you.
no it isnt.

you havent said you support any anti racists protests, youve only said what dont support.

Thank you
I have the information I need.

First of all, I have no intention of entering into a discourse with all the racism apologists. (see, we can all use that word)
Conny, do you not think that sometimes history needs updating, especially if the victims have been denied a voice.

There are so many posts in this forum suggesting how damaging religion is. No-one would disagree that sometimes history needs to be re-written, re-written with a more balanced, less partisan viewpoint.

History is not being taken off the curriculum! I am disturbed that you would make such an extreme argument.

History remains, warts and all. The least we can do is to learn from it. But we can't learn from it, if the major and the more damaging aspects are airbrushed out (see, we can all level that accusation). The damaging aspects need to be included in the history that we teach to our kids.

Bobby, I have no problem with history being updated to include salient points that have been missed in the past, but not at the expense of then deleting or omitting things which are known to have happened. My remark about history being taken off the curriculum was a rhetorical question with a little seriousness in it. Sadly it is already one of the subjects you may 'drop' when making your GCSE choices.
I've never been a fan of airbrushing history or any other subject. People only learn the truth, and it's subsequent consequences, when they know the full facts so yes I agree history should be shown with warts and all when being taught or discussed. Which brings me back to the original post where the discussion was about a film not being shown because it portrayed black people as slaves. Historically a lot of them were, so refusing to show a film depicting this is not going to change the past. Rather than withdraw it why not make another film that explains how and why those situations arose and what was subsequently done to try and redress the issue?
In the film The Dambusters, Guy Gibsons dog was called ****** because in real life that is what his dog was called. The dog has a gravestone above his burial place at RAF Scampton stating his name as ****** yet certain TV channels omitted the scenes were his name was used or dubbed a different name over the original film. Why? It's a true historical fact so it was airbrushed so as not to offend someone who complained. These days I would imagine it would not get past the censors because we are more aware, shall we say, that the word quite rightly causes offence. In those days it was the norm to use this, and many other, words to describe things. Happily we have moved on and now recognise we have to be more considerate when using certain words or phrases. I'm just sick of a very small minority of people who see fit to think that because they find something offensive the whole world should stop turning until they are happy. They never will be. The reason a lot of children have problems these days is because we are not setting boundaries for them. The older generation, and I include myself in this, were set boundaries regarding behaviour etc. We didn't like them, we rebelled against them, but we knew when we overstepped the mark then there would be consequences to our actions. Without those boundaries, thanks to the do-gooders those boundaries are no longer enforced because they think children should have the same rights as adults and be allowed to learn from their own mistakes, regardless of what harm/hurt it causes others in the process.

No. I implied nothing. Stop making up lies.
Please dont continue with your dishonesty, you explicity said these 'protests were nonsense'.

and since you refuse to confirm that you would support peaceful anti racist protests, I am only able to interprete that you consider anti racist protests to be nonsense.

Using the Notch logic above,all scouts racist and as bad as Baden Powell due to their silence!
You're just not listening.
upload_2020-6-11_18-32-57.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back