Freebies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's amazing the number of people who come on here to offer their "free advice" to problems, and included in their posts/free advice, is a link to a web site advertising the family business, companies, etc. We had an expert giving advice on SAND the other week, his father and himself run a quarrying business, and in every post was the quarry web site link. When these people and others are told that they can advertise on here, but they will have to pay for the priviledge, they disappear, like these two did,, "up their own sand hole" :LOL: as quickly as they came, never to be heard of again. Good riddance. I alert the Mod's every time I spot these crafty batsards. Spotted one tonight in "building" :mad:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
So it's OK to come on here and recommend B&Q or your local builders merchant, but not OK to mention your own quarry? Why is that? They probably know far more about sand than B&Q do.

I am with you there on that one roughcaster.

I also dont much care for people who don't read the rules, and type a whole question in capitals or bold, or worse still hi-jack posts.

There used to be a rule that said something like "dont reply to old posts, anything over month is old" I agree with that because often some one will post a few times, and never post again, then some plonker comes along a couple of years later and asks "did you fix your.........." But admin saw fit to remove the rule. Silly Rabbit

And Joe-90 dont try and wind people up, its not going to work this time, you know as well as i do what the rules say

The rules make no sense. Surely if it is OK to recommend a company that offers no advice or expertise then it is OK to recommend your own after giving advice. What's it to you anyway? Do you own the site or something?

Sponsored Links
i was editing while you replied Joe-90

The rules make perfect sense

but if you wish to wear your "I will wind up some one hat" then i will oblidge this once

This forum costs money to run and host. No one pays to join, read posts or reply to posts

But it uses a lot of bandwidth which must be paid for.

In order to make money the owner of this site has "google ads"

when any one clicks on an ad, the ADVERTISER gets charged a fee (what it is, doesnt matter)
The owner of this site gets a tiny percentage of that fee.
At the end of the month the total owed to owner is added up, if its over £100 google will send a cheque, if its not its carried forward unill next month, when the same happens again.

Now if some one joins and says blah blah blah........... visit my site at yahdyyahdyyah.com

The poster is getting advertsing for free, and the owner of this site gets nothing from that ad.

But as its unlikely that mr Q or mr B are going to post on here, you are not allowed to advertise your own website / service etc in your own post. That way it is fair to all.

I'm waiting for you to answer my question of why it is OK to advertise those that don't contribute to the site (wickes, Halfords etc) - yet not those that do.

Why do they get free advertising whilst the contributing poster does not?

Well?

So I can promote a local builders merchants all I like?

I buy my sand from Frank Key builders merchants. They are great.

Is that OK?

But if I owned a builders merchants then would it be OK to say "Shop at Joe-90s builders merchants?"

Now tell me why not?

I already have.

You are now showing why most people do not like you. Me, i dont mind, sometimes i think you are reaonable. but now is one of the times you choose to be give the appearance of stupidity.

I will leave it at that.

So you are happy for company A to get free advertising by my prompting them but not happy for company B that I own to get the same advertising?

If I made bespoke cast-brass handles of a certain art deco styling that weren't available elsewhere I can't say you want "Joe-90 castings" yet I can push Wickes plasterboard until the cows come home and that's OK?

Do you know what the word 'incongruous' means?

Well that's the type of system that you operate in this site.

I would like to know why.

It doesn't make me stupid that I can't understand your incongruous logic re advertising.

So why are you getting abusive? What's it to you that I hold a differing opinion to your own? Does everyone vote Labour or support West Ham?

My ten pence..........I think it is ok for regulars to link to something they wish to recommend even if it is the sheds or other firm as they are trying to help the OPs the best they can.

I regularly link to a Shower Fixing company not because I have any interest in the company but just to help someone. :D

People that register for the forums just to advertise their products /service etc should be banned or deleted as they are advertising for free.

Sponsored Links
Back