Freebies

wind up merchant tries to strike again......sad

Where's the wind-up? I've seen you recommend builders merchants in the past to give them free advertising. Why did you do that?

Sponsored Links
Bacho wrote,

People that register for the forums just to advertise their products /service etc.

That's exactly what I'm on about.... When someone on here mentions the name of a big retailer as part of a helpful reply, true, that is indirectly advertising the big sheds etc, but that is not the same as the "big sheds" or another business answering a post on here, and leaving links all over the place, with their "helpful motive" being just to advertise their company,products/services..... for free.

Roughcaster.

wind up merchant tries to strike again......sad

Where's the wind-up? I've seen you recommend builders merchants in the past to give them free advertising. Why did you do that?

because its a steer in the right direction and being helpful, rather than blatent advertising. Its also allowed by the administartors of the site, as opposed to the other form of advertising. If you dont understand then contact admin. quite simple really

Do you know what incongruous means? If you can advertise for one retailer - why not yourself ? (if it's in the posters interest)

Isn't it supposed to be a site that helps the poster?

If I stock something that a poster needs - why can't I say so? Well?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, I can appreciate what seems to be the general consensus that you should not be able to advertise your own website, company etc on here. However, Joe's point is a valid one. What is there stopping Joe and me setting up a business each and agreeing to 'help' each other by giving advice on here and pointing toward each others website? I wouldn't be recommending my own business and Joe wouldn't be recommending his but it would be free advertising and would circumnavigate the rules as they are now. The same could be said if I recommended my uncle's business, my mates business etc etc. My uncle may not have B&Q (there's another free one for them! :) ), in his business empire but he may well sell products that are similar and possibly cheaper and with professional advice. I could quite easily argue that I point people toward this or that company as they are, in my opinion, a better company than one of the sheds.

I don't think members should be allowed to advertise their own company (for various reasons), but there does seem to be a certain ambiguity about who can and who cannot be given 'free' advertising on here. Pointing someone toward a particular website is in some cases, highly beneficial in trying to explain a point, tool, part etc. Removing that facility would be a mistake and policing it too strictly could prove damaging to the very nature of the site in my opinion.

I am not affiliated with joe-90 in anyway. All references to an affiliation are purely fictitious. I accept no responsibility for Joe and his actions. :)

As you are a regular and are not here soley to promote your business then I would say you are ok to link to your products now and then.

You could always start your own Fender business. :D

Do you know what incongruous means? If you can advertise for one retailer - why not yourself ? (if it's in the posters interest)

ask admin then, im sure he'll accomodate your question

You have to have some rules..and theres a difference between suggesting a company where you may be able to find a certain product and promoting your own company.

You have to have some rules..and theres a difference between suggesting a company where you may be able to find a certain product and promoting your own company.

But what if the product/service you can offer a poster is better than the price/quote they've already received?

Why can I give free advertising to a competitor and not to myself?

If a poster has been quoted £2000 for a new boiler when I know I could fix it for fifty quid - why am I not allowed to say so?

Why is it that I can advertise a company that doesn't contribute to this site but can't advertise my own? Without regular posters this site is history - so why penalise the regular poster?

ask admin then, im sure he'll accomodate your question

In other words you are clueless. :rolleyes:

Why is it that I can advertise a company that doesn't contribute to this site but can't advertise my own? Without regular posters this site is history

Fair comment and if it was my site I would give regulars a discount to keep them on board.

You don't get nothing for nothing though and DIYNOT has to pay the site expenses so why should he let others have a free lunch. :evil:

Then members should earn stars according to the number of posts they make. The gold star posters should then be allowed to advertise for free.

Then members should earn stars according to the number of posts they make. The gold star posters should then be allowed to advertise for free.

Going off most of you posts joe, youd'e only have a bronze star, ( i know. i'd have less)

No good giving every tom, dick and joe gold status for spouting crap for the last two yr's. :LOL:

But what if the product/service you can offer a poster is better than the price/quote they've already received?

Why can I give free advertising to a competitor and not to myself?

If a poster has been quoted £2000 for a new boiler when I know I could fix it for fifty quid - why am I not allowed to say so?

Why is it that I can advertise a company that doesn't contribute to this site but can't advertise my own? Without regular posters this site is history - so why penalise the regular poster?

Becuase this site is about us..the regualrs, or anyone else helping out DIYers for free..not trying to exploit the situation and make a few quid out of it

It would open the flood gates Joe..you would ses replies like 'with regards to your question the answer is masonry paint..but check out www.ripoffexteriorcoatings@seeyoucoming. dot com.

Sponsored Links
Back