Freeview channel changes - June 29th & 30th

Sponsored Links
funny how when sky updates there system and we dont have to do a thing but we have to do all the work when freeview alter things

Did anyone have to retune when Freesat underwent changes? No. Then again, I guess having a hunk of metal parked in a geostationary orbit some 23,000 miles up has its advantages over the jigsaw puzzle of 1200+ terrestrial transmitters all arranged so as not to encroach too much in to a neighbours territory.

I remember when Channel 5 arrived some one had to call at the door and re-tune our sets for us, not sure why, turret tuners had long gone.

However looking at the link that seems good news, as most those channels were not available from Moel-y-sant. I have noticed the Sky boxes do seem to auto re-tune, where free to air boxes every so often a program will disappear. And it needs a re-tune to get it back.

However since the satellites are all on the equator so there foot print is larger than terrestrial one would think it would be the satellites which would have the problem?

But if short of frequencies why duplicate? I can get digital radio with both DAB and freeview, and also FM one yet another and AM on still another. It would make sense to scrap DAB and re-tune the radios to freeview, or via versa. Just a waste having two frequencies for radio.

Specially as where I live can't get DAB or FM so all radio if one can call it radio, I get from the internet. Only FM radio I can get is the local heritage railway repeater, and that is only with my handy, no other radio will tune into that frequency.

However thank you for the info, so rare I use terrestrial TV I was unaware of the changes.

Sponsored Links
Lucky you, I do and it seems like every other week my set suggests a retune is needed.
That happens with sets where one or more received signal is marginal and the set has a feature where it flags up a 'new' channel.

I've had this with my Panasonic. Although my main transmitter is Winter Hill (N.W. England, Granada region) I also pick up Yorkshire transmissions from the Emley Moor site string enough that I can watch their ITV stations a clear as a bell. BBC is marginal. This is at 90 degrees off axis with a low gain Log Periodic.

I turned off the Channel Update feature and the problem went away. :D

I remember when Channel 5 arrived some one had to call at the door and re-tune our sets for us, not sure why, turret tuners had long gone.

However looking at the link that seems good news, as most those channels were not available from Moel-y-sant. I have noticed the Sky boxes do seem to auto re-tune, where free to air boxes every so often a program will disappear. And it needs a re-tune to get it back.

However since the satellites are all on the equator so there foot print is larger than terrestrial one would think it would be the satellites which would have the problem?

But if short of frequencies why duplicate? I can get digital radio with both DAB and freeview, and also FM one yet another and AM on still another. It would make sense to scrap DAB and re-tune the radios to freeview, or via versa. Just a waste having two frequencies for radio.

Specially as where I live can't get DAB or FM so all radio if one can call it radio, I get from the internet. Only FM radio I can get is the local heritage railway repeater, and that is only with my handy, no other radio will tune into that frequency.

However thank you for the info, so rare I use terrestrial TV I was unaware of the changes.
Getting rid of FM is on the cards and has been a target for some time. DAB will take over, much to.my dismay as the service quality is appalling even on DAB+.

Radio via TV or satellite has far better bit rates. However, it's not really practical for automotive or portable applications. It does provide some limited geographic boundaries though which is something of a problem for Net radio unless managed properly.

Doing away with one or the other platform from 'TV' or DAB is going to disenfranchise a bunch of people. Plus, it wouldn't improve quality for the remaining platform.

Having said that, the Irish Republic got rid of DAB. Quite sensibly, they classed it as a failed experiment.

As @Lucid has said two transmitters seems to be problem. Old house had it with Winter Hill and Moel-y-parc the answer was an aerial at front of house so house shielded it from Winter Hill.

But Panasonic TV seemed to be only one to have a problem.

As to DAB seems built into wife's car, but since it does not work were we live, rather pointless, and I would prefer a radio to go a little crackly to simply cutting out. Did try side band mobile but not really that good, although 50 miles with 25 watt is not that bad.

That happens with sets where one or more received signal is marginal and the set has a feature where it flags up a 'new' channel.
Yep - I'm at a high spot, where I pick up my correct Emley Moor, but it also receives the main transmitters for Lancashire, Newcastle and sometimes a bit of Norfolk.

Yet there are DAB pirates still operating there.
There might be. I wouldn't know about that.

The decision to axe DAB would have been official, and accountable under Law. But doesn't being a pirate mean that someone is operating outside the Law?

Isn't that how being a pirate works?

Exactly but if a pirate thinks DAB is worthwhile (profitable) it would appear the officials have got it wrong.

Exactly but if a pirate thinks DAB is worthwhile (profitable) it would appear the officials have got it wrong.
Pirate radio..... profitable

I was under the impression that pirate broadcasters were some scrotes just transmitting without a licence. A kind of hit-and-run operation.

You're suggesting pirate broadcasters are legitimate corporate businesses, is that it? Company premises, registered for tax, but 'oops, we forgot to pay for the DAB licence' - Is that what you're saying happens?

You're suggesting pirate broadcasters are legitimate corporate businesses, is that it? Company premises, registered for tax, but 'oops, we forgot to pay for the DAB licence' - Is that what you're saying happens?
I don’t know about those but yes some pirates were exactly that. Look up the history of Radio Jackie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back