Front gardens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mods despite the title this isn't actually a gardening question more of a behaviour question which is why I've placed it in GD.
Following on from discussions on other forums and chats down the pub I'd like to ask you all what you do in your front gardens.
In mine I have herbs growing, I have used the drive for drying tents and sand, I've made gates and fence panels there ( nice large flat area) and last week I cooked dinner in a portable wood fired oven.All on the front garden in full view of the world. A friend of mine thinks it's a little eccentric but when I said that I was thinking of taking out the lawn and replacing it with potatoes he was horrified.
It seems to me that in this country we ignore our front gardens, park the car there and that's it. It's rare to see people sitting in their front garden or hanging out washing and even rarer to see potatoes ( or anything edible). I really can't see why we have this kind of attitude in this country although I have been told that in parts of Lincolnshire it's common to use the front.
So , as said what do you do in your front gardens? [/b]

Sponsored Links
Not a lot......lawn, a few trees and bushes, park the car.

Wash the car on the drive and do the odd bit of DIY, bit mostly, it's just an ignored space. Don't sit out on it either.

I have a main road in my front garden, cars whizzing along it all day.

Makes it hard to weed the curbstones... :D

Sponsored Links
All seems pretty "normal" then, I hesitate to say boring not wanting to offend anyone. I was hoping to hear from someone who uses the space for something else. Specfically I'd be interested to know if anyone has anything other than grass and flowers in theirs.
Several years ago I remember reading about a house in Birmingham where the owner had put some can recycling bins adjacent to the pavement. People would drop their beer and pop cans off which the bin's owner would then sell. I don't have those although I do have a couple of compost bins.

On the council estate where I grew up, it looked as if some of 'em had planted rusty bike frames in the front garden to see if they'd grow!
Don't really have a front garden as such here now. When we lived in a house with front garden we just did the usual. Parked the car on the drive, cut the lawn. etc.

All seems pretty "normal" then, I hesitate to say boring not wanting to offend anyone. I was hoping to hear from someone who uses the space for something else. Specfically I'd be interested to know if anyone has anything other than grass and flowers in theirs.
Several years ago I remember reading about a house in Birmingham where the owner had put some can recycling bins adjacent to the pavement. People would drop their beer and pop cans off which the bin's owner would then sell. I don't have those although I do have a couple of compost bins.

People recycle their drinks cans and crisp packets in our hedge. although we live in quite a 'good' area, I'm sure the potatoes would disappear over night.

People recycle their drinks cans and crisp packets in our hedge. although we live in quite a 'good' area, I'm sure the potatoes would disappear over night.

We have a similar problem. Wythenshawes pass our front garden on the way back from the pub and chuck their rubbish in. I wish I had a solution.

The people that used to live opposite us put a white bench in their front garden and a white table shortly after painting their wall white and putting white railings up. She would often sit out there anytime of day relaxing with a cup tea or possibly a glass on "white wine".

Despite all the whiteness I thought it all rather bizzare as they are all terrace houses around here with tiny front gardens. More bizzarely, me and the wife had a nose "on line" when their house went on the market, the whole house, walls, floor, furniture was white.

I dont sit in my front garden as I prefer the privacy of my back garden.

Crisp packets are definitely irritating but at least ally drink cans are worth a 'apenny each. I always pick them up when I find them.
I have a customer who's husband used to grow potatoes on the front garden without problem. She lives five minutes walk from me and our roads have the same amount of traffic. I've heard it said that most people these days wouldn't even recognise a potato let alone go to the trouble of actually digging them up. I've certainly not had a problem with the herbs on my garden, or the almond tree for that matter. I do take your point about theft though.

I've got a pathetic excuse of a lawn c/w a manhole right in the middle. But successfully grew some outdoor tomatoes this year, against the front of the house (south facing) Still got some on too. ;) ;)

not a lot its a typical mid terrace garden about 13x3ft so the front gate and front door overlap :D

The people that used to live opposite us put a white bench in their front garden and a white table shortly after painting their wall white and putting white railings up. She would often sit out there anytime of day relaxing with a cup tea or possibly a glass on "white wine".

Despite all the whiteness I thought it all rather bizzare as they are all terrace houses around here with tiny front gardens. More bizzarely, me and the wife had a nose "on line" when their house went on the market, the whole house, walls, floor, furniture was white.

I dont sit in my front garden as I prefer the privacy of my back garden.

I bet they couldn't wait to get out there when it snowed!!

Sponsored Links
Back