Frontline NHS doctor reveals how coronavirus has unleashed terror in hospital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...twitter_dailymailUK&__twitter_impression=true

Can we all just follow advice after reading that.

We knew this man was just the first one we would see die in this excruciating manner. The child in me was thinking: 'If only I can save him, perhaps all those people piling up in our wards will be OK, too.' But this, of course, is real life. Not a children's story.

It takes two days to get the results, which provides another logistical challenge.

While we wait for test results the patient can't return to a normal ward in case they have the virus, but they can't be moved in with Covid-19 sufferers in case they don't.

Absurdly, I have not been afforded a test – and the NHS's approach for staff is that until you have symptoms you don't self-isolate. Why? Because we simply do not have enough staff for them to be disappearing before symptoms appear, regardless of whether they are likely carrying it or not.

As a doctor you should be saving lives. But for the first time in my career I have to face the fear that as a doctor I could be a silent killer. I have no choice but to block out that fear and just get on with it.

Imagine knowing you are bothing helping and possibly infecting a patient at the same time?

Sponsored Links
Grim read :( I am at a loss at the idiots who have for a while thought this thing was a storm in a teacup and China were just overreacting. I think it's clear now if anything China weren't and aren't reporting the real stats.
Also our Government have been way too weak in educating the public the potential risks we must avoid. Many people i've spoken to online have said 'chill i am 2m metres away in the queues' etc.

Lets make it clear if you've ever studied Chemical warfare for example, using the 1.5 2m or whatever distance rule is a joke. This virus is and can be very much airborne, the depending factors are way more complex than just 'i'm not within touching distance'. You ever seen your vapour exhale on a cold day? Yes of course you have.. Think about it. Now imagine an infected airway expelling virus spores. This virus is successful due to potentially 1000's of years of evolution no fluke.

Imho everyone in close situations should be wearing pp3 masks, until we know for sure what we are up against. Super markets thanks to the government budget changes and the mass of panic buying can afford to post an extra few staff to disinfect all trolley and basket handles on reuse etc and enforce hygiene rules when in the stores, pennies to their sky rocketing profits. So many obvious steps we can take. All should be using latex gloves on petrol pumps. I shudder to think how many are being infected already here. Any place regular human contact has potential changes must be made.

Yet again we have no clear idea how long it lives on surfaces assume min 3 days. Don't be embarrassed to wear a mask out + wear disposable gloves.

More reading here for anyone interested about the Aerosol potential of the Corona variants out there.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-can-become-aerosol-doesnt-mean-doomed/

ETzGE51XgAEYMyP

Very sad but true. I watched a documentary on China the other night how they reacted building that football stadium out into a giant ICU. The resources, the regiment discipline we don't have here.

Sponsored Links
NHS staff are getting a viral load after a viral load. Even fit and healthy staff are getting ill. Its simply over exposure.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-year-old-uk-nurse-intensive-care-coronavirus

A 36-year-old nurse described as “normally fit and healthy” is critically ill in intensive care after contracting coronavirus.

Areema Nasreen is on a ventilator at Walsall Manor hospital in the West Midlands where she has worked for 16 years.

:( so hope this lady has enough fight to pull through.

1 in 10 confirmed cases in Spain are healthcare workers.

NHS staff are getting a viral load after a viral load. Even fit and healthy staff are getting ill. Its simply over exposure

My neice is a radiographer, in her dept 2 colleagues have been off long term sick, theyve not been replaced.

She does loads of Chest Xrays and CT scans.
Im very worried

Very sad but true. I watched a documentary on China the other night how they reacted building that football stadium out into a giant ICU. The resources, the regiment discipline we don't have here.
They also have recent experience with epidemics and a sense of scale that we don't have. There's around 25 times as many people in China as the UK.

Their field hospitals could handle around 2,000 people. To scale that'd be an 80 bed facility in the UK.

Daily "dashboard" from Public Health England, for anyone who's not seen it.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

I've been watching that for weeks. Setting the right hand side to nhs regions shows that it's been creeping north. The daily infection rate stutters now and again but so far the curve quickly gets back to what it was slope wise.

The big change came when they just started testing people with rather noticeable symptoms. If some one goes to hospital now with just the cough etc they may find they are simply sent home to self isolate. That's what looked to happen with a lady who went to her doctors with a cough. She would probably only have been kept in if having trouble breathing.

If people want info I'd suggest the news on TV not the various paper rags.

NHS staff are getting a viral load after a viral load. Even fit and healthy staff are getting ill. Its simply over exposure.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-year-old-uk-nurse-intensive-care-coronavirus

A 36-year-old nurse described as “normally fit and healthy” is critically ill in intensive care after contracting coronavirus.

Areema Nasreen is on a ventilator at Walsall Manor hospital in the West Midlands where she has worked for 16 years.
Read today shes improved from critical to stable but still on ventilator. Some good news..

Why is the German death rate so low.
0.2 % compared to UKs 3.7 and 7.5 for Italy.
Could it be because Germany has 56000 intensive care beds compared to Uk 5000 or so.

Why is the German death rate so low.
0.2 % compared to UKs 3.7 and 7.5 for Italy.
Could it be because Germany has 56000 intensive care beds compared to Uk 5000 or so.
Probably not. We are running short but we're not at the point where we're turning that many away from Ventilators. Not yet.

They're testing everything that moves which covers some of the variation, but the low death rate is quite odd.

Probably not. We are running short but we're not at the point where we're turning that many away from Ventilators. Not yet.

They're testing everything that moves which covers some of the variation, but the low death rate is quite odd.

South Korea has about 9k cases and 120 deaths. We have 8k cases and 422 deaths.

SK aggressive testing regime helped them better understand how the virus spread and subsequently they were better at controlling it, I believe Germany is likewise.

Control the spread you suppress the number of infecred and thus the deaths.

Sponsored Links
Back