Frustration of the internet

But are we better off as a society prior to the internet?

It depends how you measure 'better off'. Life was much slower, much less complicated, but we were not so wealthy or well paid, because we didn't get so much done in such a short time. The Internet can make your life generally a much richer life and I certainly welcome and welcomed it when it first became available. I never dreamed it would become as universal a source of information and rapid information exchange as it has become.

I find it difficult to imagine life what life was like before it, though I spent most of my life without it.

Sponsored Links
I find it difficult to imagine life what life was like before it, though I spent most of my life without it.
I enjoy the memories I have of life before the internet. Life was slower and far less stressful without the pressure of instant and invasive communications

I never dreamed it would become as universal a source of information and rapid information exchange as it has become.
A source of information to marketing and sales organisations as well as a source for the general public.

The down side is the Internet conveys a lot of intentional and sometimes malicious mis-information direct to the home.

Ive had Neff, Bosch, Miele….
We’ve only had one, a Hotpoint. It’s been working fine for 20 years and it has been used every day. Only things I don’t put in it are my good knives and non-stick pans. Everything else just goes in there.

Life was slower and far less stressful without the pressure of instant and invasive communications

I find the off switch works well.

A source of information to marketing and sales organisations as well as a source for the general public.

The down side is the Internet conveys a lot of intentional and sometimes malicious mis-information direct to the home.

I avoid social media, I am careful about what personal information I pass on and successfully see through most of the misinformation, though I can see it would be easy for some to believe the misinformation. In fact there are a few on this forum who believed the misinformation found on the net.

Sponsored Links
Wash tall glasses and the coffee making stuff. Load what I don't need...

We haven't got a dishwasher (apart from other half), so not much knowledge of them. Do they still make glasses (not your specs :) ) look like they've been sandblasted? Or have they sorted that problem?

We haven't got a dishwasher (apart from other half), so not much knowledge of them. Do they still make glasses (not your specs :) ) look like they've been sandblasted? Or have they sorted that problem?

SWMBO recently started using the dishwasher - ten years since I put it in and almost unused. She says glasses are fine in it.

When we bought our 2nd house, 1980 ish, the lovely Geordie couple who sold it to us repainted the interior and gifted us a dishwasher, in the two years we were there we used it once, we left it behind for the couple who bought from us.

I would imagine if you had a family of 6 they could be essential but for us, we just couldn't see the point.

I've embraced the internet since back in the early 80's when me & my bestest mate would travel into Nottingham University to use their lab access.

Throughout the 90's & into the millenium I was a senior part of the company that put PC's into most homes. I helped to create the first 'free' home internet access & I was a major player in the dirty campaign that forced BT into finally adopting ADSL. (thank me later).

I earned £millions off the back of it, yet nothing has been quite as rewarding as watching how it has transformed most peoples lives for the better. I remember the young lady with a very rare illness & I remember helping her set up the BBS group that connected the 100 or so worldwide sufferers & their carers. I especially remember co-ordinating with an IT technician in Sydney Australia, to set up a video feed into his parents home so he could show off with their new grandaughter. I also remember chatting with my local independant travel agent & predicting that most High St travel agents would disappear & her counter arguments about why they wouldn't. I guess we were both right, she adopted a few of my ideas but kept a High St presence & sold her business for £40million when she retired . . . .

I'm totally out of it now, my £money was sensibly invested in property & my knowledge level of "how it works" is probably on the same level as my grandaughter. All that I have mentioned was cutting edge at the time yet is taken for granted today. Don't ever think that progress has stopped, it is now progressing faster than it ever did & there will be things in the coming years that we can't even dream of.

Ya'all get ready for AI.

When we bought our 2nd house, 1980 ish, the lovely Geordie couple who sold it to us repainted the interior and gifted us a dishwasher, in the two years we were there we used it once, we left it behind for the couple who bought from us.

I would imagine if you had a family of 6 they could be essential but for us, we just couldn't see the point.

I don't actually see why you had to point out that they were Georgies.

Why is it people have to categorise and stereotype that all people from the NE are sex mad and don't like getting their hands wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some web pages I have loaded don't work properly I'm some browsers but do in others.

???

We have sort of settled on using it once per week and we try to fill it up, even with the already clean items from the cupboards. What we find is it is a bit more thorough than we can wash by hand.

I helped to create the first 'free' home internet access & I was a major player in the dirty campaign that forced BT into finally adopting ADSL. (thank me later).

Would that have been a freephone number and dial up? A very busy line and difficult to get through, then it would (I think) throw you off after a while.

my knowledge level of "how it works" is probably on the same level as my grandaughter. All that I have mentioned was cutting edge at the time yet is taken for granted today.

Likewise here, I struggle along.

Sponsored Links
Back